Opinions welcome...better yet, needed!

VogueBoy

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
Hi I'd like everyone's opinion on how to do this. Ok, here's my dillema. I work. Where I work is none of yer furken business. I have a computer where I work. I hate working! (Hehe, j/k) Ok look, I need an external hard drive to install games on that I can play while I'm on my break. Or while the boss is...elsewhere. Now whether I'm going to play them direcly off the external hard drive or copy them to the work hard drive first, is all the same to me. I can't install them on the work hard drive because I'm a paranoid guy, and I always think there's that little itty bitty **itty piece of information left in the registry or somewhere else that can let others know what's going on. So you see my trouble. Copying the game to the hard drive, then deleting it afterwards isn't so bad. Its time consuming, but not that bad. It would be better if I could play directly off the ext hard drive.

So what's my question you ask? Well this is the problem. I need to know what kind of ext hard drive would be good to get, whether I need anything else for it, like firewire cards or usb 2.0 cards or whatnot, and whether what I wanna do is possible at all. And of course, I don't wanna pay for any of this. But I will. So MAKE IT CHEAP!

Ahem...I'm ok now...

Thanks,
Vogue

I bet I can run faster scared, than you can mad!

You'll still have to install some of the game files to the C: and it'll show up in the PC's registry.

Just install it as normal and take the risks. :smile:

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

VogueBoy

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
Ok how about this: I backup the registry, I install the game, I backup the registry again, I copy the game to the ext hard drive, I use a program (if one such as this exists) to create 2 executables to change the registry (one to add keys, the other to remove those same keys).

This way I could just copy the game every time to the hard drive, run the patch, then play, then run the other patch, then delete the game, and I'm safe, right?

Vogue
PS: If anyone has an idea of a program that will create patches like that for me, please lemme know. Thanks!

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I would think it would be too much work to keep everything clean for what you want to do....unless we are talking about long extended period of time...

That is a nice <b><font color=green>Garbage Can</font color=green></b> you have there!

TheMaverick

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
Could you save the registry then install the game then delete it when you are done and then load the registry you saved?

AMD XP 1900+
A7V-333
Geforce 3 TI 200
PC2100 512MB

You could. Better yet, why not ghost an image of the C: to the external drive, boot with it, install the game to it, and just plug it in when you want and boot to it.

Looks like the usual system at a glance. Take it home at night, no one is any wiser. May cause a problem if you're taking company stuff home though.

I take it winmine, solitaire and hearts isn't good enough?

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

VogueBoy

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
Ah yes, I thought about that. But wouldn't I need a 40G external hd then if I wanna make a copy of the company c:? And to get a 40G external hd (I do not even want to CONSIDER SCSI!!!) its gonna be quite a bit of money right? Cheapest I ever found was a USB 2.0 one and it was $300 canadian. And then there's tax to that too. That's a lot, but I might do it after all, hell I could use another hd to backup some stuff.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How come you can't make the external drive bootable? I mean why not install Win98 on it and use a boot disk to boot from it. That way all the files will be installed on the external drive, and the registry will only be affected on the ext. drive....at least I think.

Would this work?

Ooops...sorry Camieabz you basically already covered this idea.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flyboy on 06/19/02 10:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>