Oppo Find 5 Review: A Phone Of Firsts From A Brand To Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

marclee37

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I live in Hong Kong ssp, I see there are much many other China brand good looking good quality Android phones- 2gb ram is a norm, 3gb ram started to appear. 1080 screen, 5" screen, 13M cam, these are basic general spec, for price no more than US$320.

Being unlocked, it is a perfect go-to phone for trips abroad. As far as hardware, the only "downside" is the lack of LTE bands in it's radio.
SOftware is where it lacks, though. I got this because Oppo promised frequent updates to the OS, and TBH the Android-based variant it came with was not too bad of an experience. Then it became clear that the development team does not really know what they're doing (same minor but annoying bugs with every release, now barely coming through with 4.2, etc). They could have given CyanogenMod the kernel and drivers and let them pick up the development. CM-based ROMs are functional, but still plagued by bugs that come from lack of access to proprietary code.
Basically, their approach (at one point there were 2 or 3 versions of ROMs in development, none out of a beta state) stretched them way too thin, and it shows.
Last but not least, ignoring many requests of just embracing AOSP and let the plethora of apps do the rest was not a smart move on Oppo's part.

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
As an Audioholic, I have heard of the Oppo name. Their Blu-Ray players are considered by many in the high-end community to be top quality. In fact, Lexicon, a maker of ultra-elite electronics, actually stuck a $500 Oppo BDP-83 inside a new case and sold it for $3,500! (Audioholics: Lexicon BD-30 Blu-Ray Player (Oppo BDP-83 Clone) Review)

With this phone, however, I doubt Apple will stick it inside their own chassis and call it ther own. It is mildly interesting, but as is often the case, forays into new market segments by otherwise high quality manufacturers are often precarious.

By all means, get an Oppo Blu-Ray player. As far as the phone, they need to get through their growing pains.

programit

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Why isn't the phone compared to current versions of others. I see you put it against the latest iphone and a 16 month old dates Samsung S3. Why not the S4 or Note3 which are current models and hence what it is up against.
It seemed a bit biased and not truly giving a comparison with current market phones.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
got to love the iPhone 5s....like it or not....it's the best all around...the benches speak for themselves...did it mention "NO CRAPWARE and FAST OS UPDATES"

dnoonie

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
OPPO Digital, maker of the BDP line of blu-ray players is not the same maker as this phone. OPPO Digital is and California USA based company.

Pedro Miranda

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Dear writers, on the hardware section of this review you mention the following "USB On-The-Go (USB-OTG), which is supported by the hardware but requires SuperUser permissions and the requisite root access to enable on the Find 5’s stock ROM" but so far doing all of that I could not make it work. Could you please point me to your source. I searched online but apparently no one has managed to activate this or find a workaround. Thanks for your help. PS - this phone rocks and for 299€ in Europe it beats similar competitors.

Gilbert Gong

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Oppo has made Chinese market phones before the Finder, the Finder was just the first to get some international attention. Here is a link to their current Chinese market phones: http://store.oppo.com/mobile They are definitely distinctive among the Chinese makers for targeting higher quality (typically Chinese phone makers aim for the low price market, leaving the middle/higher end for foreign makers).

Gilbert Gong

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Also, Oppo has been around since 2004 and began by making MP3 players and some other portable electronics. I don't have any numbers, but in China they appeared to be a reasonably decent sized company. When living there in 2011-2013, they had stores in many retail locations, on par with other brand presences (such as HTC, Samsung, Sony, Nokia, etc).Other Chinese makers have good specs, but the Oppo phones were the only ones I ever saw with (relatively) good quality. I bought a Finder soon after seeing one in person.

bums

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
Oppo find clover not GOOD , not have a kernel for USB OTG, not good use electronic bands, if you everything people say good you must update kernel for USB OTG

Status
Not open for further replies.