Oppo Unveils World's First 1080p Smartphone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Its rumored that Apple Computer is about to sue apple growers and anyone who sells anything with the word "apple" in it. No more "Applesauce" or "Apple pie". Apples must come up with a new name.

While the 1080p is fine and all, the screen is a huge 5" (so is the ppi really that high compared to the 3.5" iPhone 4?) - they PPI is beyond what is detected by the human eye. I've tried to see the pixels on iPhone and 720p phones... I cannot. The advantage of 1080p is no scaling required... but 720 is standard as well.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]I will NEVER buy Chinese sourced goods. NEVER.[/citation]
lol the post you made was probably done with something that was made in China lol.

[citation][nom]whyso[/nom]why the hell am i typing this on a 15.6 inch 1366 by 768 laptop screen? Biggest mistake I ever made was not buying the 1080p upgrade.[/citation]
15.6" displays shouldn't even HAVE a 1366x768 option; they should start at 1600x900. I have that resolution on my 14.0" laptop and it's just about perfect for me. I can understand why people might want 1366x768 at 14.0" (I've had laptops that use it at 13.3" and 11.6") but anything larger is just ridiculous.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
With a 30min battery life most likely. But great to see solid competition in the smart phone segment out there (if the stats are fact and not fiction).

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Why must the world move so fast??? I have a single core snapdragon galaxy. Not the galaxy s2, 3 or whatever. the original. the thing is lightning fast and lasts for days on it's 1,200 mah battery. I can play any game or use any app I want. Save your money people.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009

I've read a scientific article that was trying to prove if the Retina Display is a marketing lie. (I'll have to do some digging if anyone's interested.) It was about how only a few people have such great visual acuity to be able to still see the individual pixels of a Retina Display, but most, and I mean most, people don't have greater than 20/20 vision (Yeah, I was surprised too that 20/20 isn't the greatest, but even up to now, I'm not sure what those numbers mean, so what do I know. :lol:). So it isn't a lie for most people I guess. I forgot though if people with 20/20 vision itself can make out the individual pixels. Maybe this smartphone's higher DPI screen may be beneficial to those few people who can, but to most, it sounds like a waste of screen production cost and processing power (and I think thus battery life, just as others mentioned) if you ask me... :)

I guess he/she hasn't heard of the Apple-Foxconn relationship, though he/she didn't really say if he/she buys/would buy Apple products. :)

G

//read a scientific article
written by clearly biased authors of iPhone age? :)
In my schoolyears I was taught that human eye is capable of seeing individual FOTON, not to say about a pixel

YardstickWHACK

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
"According to Raymond Soneira, president of DisplayMate Technologies, the resolution of the actual human retina is higher than claimed by Apple, working out to 477 pixels per inch at 12 inches (305 mm) from the eye."

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Yeah, but I would agree that people's ability to see varies greatly. And if statistics show that most people only have so much a visual acuity that they can't distinguish pixel from pixel on Retina Display during normal usage, then it should work for most people nicely. I'm not an Apple fan. Just restating what I've read and what I've said above.

The article did say that human vision is capable of more than what the Retina Display can provide in DPI, but not everyone and likely, not most have that epitome of visual acuity.

Diablosg

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]I will NEVER buy Chinese sourced goods. NEVER.[/citation]

-.- Pls look at the back of your monitor you're using or maybe under ur keyboard/mouse and get bitch slapped by reality.

I checked under 5 items that's close to me and guess what, they all made in china that includes products like a Logitech keyboard and Microsoft mouse aswell as a Nokia phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.