Oppo Unveils World's First 1080p Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Question: If these Chinese companies have been manufacturing record-breaking, awesome smartphones for years, how come we've never seen reviews of any of these in the west, in any country?

EDIT> ***, I forgot that Apple patented rectangles with rounded corners. No wonder.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Great.. Now I'm torn between the LG Optimus G or this (if available in my Country).
I'm leaning more towards the LG for battery life, who knows how much power this bad boy's screen is going to suck away.

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
[citation][nom]LaHawzel[/nom]Question: If these Chinese companies have been manufacturing record-breaking, awesome smartphones for years, how come we've never seen reviews of any of these in the west, in any country?[/citation]
What are you serious you havent heard about the Oppo Finder only 6.65mm thick. Come On tons of videos and reviews on the net. Wish I could get an unlocked version.

G

Apple patented 1080p, they are working on a lawsuit as we speak.

G

[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]I will NEVER buy Chinese sourced goods. NEVER.[/citation]
Yeah, good luck with that. You probably had something made in China on yourself when you posted that comment... And the device you posted it from has something made in China as well.

G

Finally, been waiting for the full HD 16:9 benchmark to be hit before getting too excited about my next phone. This could be it if I can buy one unlocked from outside China. Hope it's got HDMI out and hopefully these 1920x1080 panels and 2Gb ram will be part of the next gen 7" tablets as well.

maniac62

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]I will NEVER buy Chinese sourced goods. NEVER.[/citation]I'm 100% sure that the computer you are using is made in China.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
That is one sexy phone. Hopefully the battery is replaceable... I would not want anything under 3500mAh in a beast like that. Currently using the Galaxy Note 1 with a 5400 mAh battery and I get about 2 days with full charge using about 6 hours of on screen time.

I can only imagine how much battery a 1080p 5 inch screen phone would suck up. 2500 mAh would probably last about 12hours with 2 hours of on screen time.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
It looks good on picture but in reality, it actually suck.

I'd seen many tablet made in china and... never mind.

Also, there is no warranty, support...

They are cheap since they do not pay for royalties, the reason why they do no export it first world countries like the US, and they dump their cheap products in third world countries.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]LaHawzel[/nom]Question: If these Chinese companies have been manufacturing record-breaking, awesome smartphones for years, how come we've never seen reviews of any of these in the west, in any country?EDIT> ***, I forgot that Apple patented rectangles with rounded corners. No wonder.[/citation]

Ever been to Europe?
Noticed there are cars on the street that never made it to the USA?
Believe it or not, the US market is not that important anymore for a manufacturer to deal with the bureaucratic nightmare of getting a product approved for the US consumer.

And before you blame them, the US has been doing this for decades !

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Am I alone in thinking 440 ppi is useless? I mean the point of retina quality is that the eye can't see the difference, going beyond that means you no longer can see the improvements.

[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]I will NEVER buy Chinese sourced goods. NEVER.[/citation]
Ya, just keep in mind that 1/2 the stuff that says "Made in the USA" is actually full of stuff made in China, and then assembled in the USA. Unless you are making everything yourself, then you are out of luck.

Keep in mind also that companies like oppo are just that; companies. The make a product, and stand behind it, and if they make crap then they will not last long (and these guys in particular make some pretty good stuff). It's not like the gov't actually owns or runs the company (though they could step in and do just that if they wanted to). Instead the gov't just regulates them like crazy. It is just like another 'capitalistic' country that I know of...

[citation][nom]maniac62[/nom]I'm 100% sure that the computer you are using is made in China.[/citation]
to be fair, some parts could be make in mylasia, india, tiwan, or half a dozen other countries from that neck of the woods... but most likely there is a substantial amount of it from China.

Eljeffe

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I assume this is the same company that sells high-end optical-disk players in the US ... . If so, they've developed a serious great reputation for high quality, innovation, support AND low pricing. I'd buy a smartphone from them in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.