Optane Boot and NVMe Storage in RAID?

Solution
Except for a very few use cases, RAID 0 performance does not stack with SSD's as it did with old HDD's.

And the actual Optane drives are pretty damn expensive for the size, as compared to NVMe.

Personally, I'd just get an NVMe for the OS and applications, another for working space, and then another 1-2TB SATA SSD for the games and resulting vid files.

USAFRet

Titan

Without saying yes or no...

What is the use case for such a configuration?

And it depends on the rest of the parts.

ManUnderMachine

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
Mostly gaming and video editing.

I was thinking about using the Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 9 and either Intel Core i9 7960X or 7980XE.

I wanted the storage to be fast but not limited to less than 500GB. I thought about just running Samsung 960 Pro's in RAID as storage. But, concerning a boot drive, I wasn't sure if I should just use a smaller NVMe SSD or an Optane SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
Except for a very few use cases, RAID 0 performance does not stack with SSD's as it did with old HDD's.

And the actual Optane drives are pretty damn expensive for the size, as compared to NVMe.

Personally, I'd just get an NVMe for the OS and applications, another for working space, and then another 1-2TB SATA SSD for the games and resulting vid files.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Because the performance difference in those use cases does not overcome the price v space difference.

A movie living on an NVMe does not play any faster than one living on a SATA III SSD. Or even an HDD.

For instance, my movie library lives in a whole different system on HDD's, in my NAS box.
A 2 hour movie still takes 2 hours, no matter what drive type it lives on.

SSD vs HDD is a huge increase.
NVMe vs SSD isn't so much of an increase.

Eventually, some few years from now, NVMe drives will be mainstream and priced accordingly.
Today, far too much $$ just to hold some movies.

Games, pretty much the same.