[SOLVED] Optane SSD Drives and New Current SSDs

braxus

Reputable
Jan 1, 2018
I bought the Intel Optane 900P series SSD a few years back. It was pretty darn fast when starting up Windows 10. It has slowed down a bit since then with all the updates Microsoft has done. My one is the PCI-E version.

My question is have new model M2 SSD drives finally caught up in speed during startup to the Optane drives? Im debating to sell the Optane in favor of a new SSD M2 drive to free up a PCI-E slot. Has anyone tested the new drives?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Good quality drives don't "slow down" over time. My several Samsung SATA III SSDs...all run pretty much as original, a couple of them from 2014.

Added software and other gunk on it....that may be why it seems 'slow'.

Changing an Optane 900p for a 980?
No....Any speed diff would be on the order of "blink and you missed it".

Intel's 900P Optane drives may not turn in the eye-opening sequential read/write numbers that most like to see, but, it is still one of the kings in long sustained writes, and random mixed reads/writes, etc..

As the difference in Windows load times varies only about a second or so among assorted NVME drives, I'd call upgrading due to chasing that last second a...well....waste of time. :)

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Good quality drives don't "slow down" over time. My several Samsung SATA III SSDs...all run pretty much as original, a couple of them from 2014.

Added software and other gunk on it....that may be why it seems 'slow'.

Changing an Optane 900p for a 980?
No....Any speed diff would be on the order of "blink and you missed it".

braxus

Reputable
Jan 1, 2018
Im just trying to free up a PCI-E slot. Granted I'd have to use a second M2 slot (I already have another M2 drive installed). As long as the new M2 drives are close in speed to the older Optane, I might make the switch. The Optane drives still sell for a pretty penny these days, and I'd have a little left over after buying the 980.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Im just trying to free up a PCI-E slot. Granted I'd have to use a second M2 slot (I already have another M2 drive installed). As long as the new M2 drives are close in speed to the older Optane, I might make the switch. The Optane drives still sell for a pretty penny these days, and I'd have a little left over after buying the 980.
If you can sell the Optane for reasonable, and if your current motherboard supprts the PCIe 4.0 980... go for it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY