Optane trouble. windows put partition on my optane drive

Aug 5, 2018
hi there, i hope i am posting this in the right area. first time making a thread so apologies for any mistakes. i have a very specific issue that i will try to describe to the best of my ability. i just built a new pc and put everything together including optane drive before installing windows 10. installed windows 10 and tried to install optane drive as accelerator for my hdd but the installer said that this optane drive wasnt usable and i saw there was only 14.3 gb available on the 16 gb drive i bought so i looked into it and windows installed a back up folder and restore point along with some other system files onto the drive. and the optane installer said it would atempt to clear anything on the drive when setting up for acceleration. im assuming it couldnt delete or overwrite windows files and that may have caused the initial problem (please tell me if im wrong). now i was dumb enough to think i could cut and past those files back into my primary drive, restart and try again. big mistake trying to alter windows precious files because i could no longer boot (i solved this problem by getting a new hdd and re installing windows without any other drives connected). but now when i try to put the optane drive back in it tells me i need to repair windows when i try to boot. i can boot up just fine when i unplug optane from m.2. so i have a few different problems here. sorry for the long post.

so first if this is an issue i need to clear everything off the optane drive if that is the issue. tried formatting partitions on it and deleting them but to no avail, windows still says windows needs repair when its plugged in

second i got windows to boot with it in once and tried to run the installer and it said bios configuration was wrong so i looked into the bios and found an optane/m.2 genie and enabled it. thats when i started having the windows needs repair problem.

it would be really apreciated to have a step by step on how to install this thing because i have made a lot of mistakes already.

ask any questions you need to i know this is super drawn out and probably confusing and i opologize thank you in advance for the help.

PC specs:
cpu intel 8700k
mobo msi z370 sli plus
ram 8 gb crucial
hdd 2tb seagate barracuda with windows 10 installed

Solution
Win 10 put the boot partition on the optane drive. It thought it was being helpful. That is why it messes with boot up if its in PC.

take all drives except optane drive out of PC
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this shows all drives available, DVD/USB and hdd, make note of hdd number
type Select disk X - where X is the number of the optane drive you want to wipe, change X to that number and press enter
once the drive you want to clean on is chosen, type Clean

that will wipe the optane drive

Now re attach the other drive and use the optane...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Win 10 put the boot partition on the optane drive. It thought it was being helpful. That is why it messes with boot up if its in PC.

take all drives except optane drive out of PC
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this shows all drives available, DVD/USB and hdd, make note of hdd number
type Select disk X - where X is the number of the optane drive you want to wipe, change X to that number and press enter
once the drive you want to clean on is chosen, type Clean

that will wipe the optane drive

Now re attach the other drive and use the optane drive how you wanted to.

Solution