[SOLVED] Optane

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hi

I've tried to read up on this but just want to confirm I've got this right...

I've attached an image from a motherboard info page...
In this context - are they saying that the motherboard comes with Optane built in - and you just add your old school HDD and it works faster?

From what I could see they're tailing off selling drives with optane built in so I assume they're not talking about needing to buy a special drive?

cheers

y45L9wK.png

Solution
"Optane Ready" means it has the connections and circuitry to accept an Optane module.
NOT that it is built in.

And yes, the small 16GB and 32GB Optane modules are meant for cache space for a spinning HDD.
It makes ZERO sense to marry them with an solid state drive. The SSD is already fast enough.
This is also the most misleading marketing BS I've seen:
intel_optaneChart_blue.jpg

1TB NVMe SSDs can be had for less than $100 now.

Not to mention that Optane in this instance is using it to cache stuff from the hard drive. You'll only get this performance for commonly accessed files and it's up in the air how often it has to be accessed before it reaches the speed.

I'm almost fairly certain this image is like 6 years old, when 1TB NVMe SSDs were actually around that price.

Reactions: USAFRet

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Optane is supported, not built in.

This is also the most misleading marketing BS I've seen:

I saw something I missed earlier - on the same motherboard website...
Under the storage specs it says:

"Intel Optane Memory Ready for M.2 slots that are from z690 Chipset"

To me that sounds like optane is built in already and that it will help M.2's not old school HDD's?
But y'all are saying it's all wrong?

To be clear optane only works as a cache for old school HDDs? Or SSD's or both? but not m.2? Did they just mess up?

And you're saying you need to buy a special stick of optane RAM to put on your mobo to do this? Or you buy special storage drives where its built in?

Cheers

See Image below

pU3wlPZ.png

USAFRet

Titan
"Optane Ready" means it has the connections and circuitry to accept an Optane module.
NOT that it is built in.

And yes, the small 16GB and 32GB Optane modules are meant for cache space for a spinning HDD.
It makes ZERO sense to marry them with an solid state drive. The SSD is already fast enough.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS