opti-mouse forgotten FPS glitch

Bean

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2001
Hi, Just read the optical mouse article and I just wanted to see if im the only one with this problem.
I play FPS games and I find any optical mose unuseable for them because when I lift the mouse up off the surface (just a fraction of an inch) in order to reposition it, The movement dosnt completely stop. With a regular mouse I know,, can feel when the ball leavs the mouse pad and when it hits the pad again, this is very important to me ,, am I the only one that has this problem?

kindlr

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
That's not a glitch, that's new technology. If you had a mouseball which was a bit larger you'd suffer the same problem and have to lift the mouse a bit more. I've been using opti-mice for at least a year now, you'll get used to it, I just checked and moving my Logi about 1/8" off the table makes it not move, I bet most non-opti's can't boast that.

Me "I bought a TNT2 M64, the BIOS says its a Vanta"
IOMagic "Theyre the same card"
Me "Um, no"

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yeah.... but i still like the tracking ball type of mouse. i like to get the feeling of the tracking ball moving along with my hands. feel that momentum etc. maybe it's just because i'm used to it. besides, you don't actually need a mousepad for a conventional mouse if you can do it with optical mouse, it works with glass, and the only complain i have about the old mouse is that you can move it around your lap. but... it's fine for me.

³ªÀ̽º ¿£ºñµð¾Æ ¿£ ¿¡ÀÌƼ¾ÆÀÌ À¯Á °ÔÀÌÆ® À¸ ÄíÅ°.... :smile: ¾ß¹Ì :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Optical mice work on glass. Try an Icemat. I've got one at home, and it works decently well with optical mice. They've got a new one in the works that works perfectly with optical mice.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
icemat? don't tell me that is a mousepad

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what... it would be saying like you can use a normal mouse on your lap but you need a smooth-surface wooden plank or some sort to put on your lap to use the mouse properly.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Who puts their mouse in their lap? I sure don't.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
but it's one key selling point for optical mouses.

FatBurger

Illustrious
It is? I've never seen one sold because of that reason.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
also returning to my point having "no mouse pad" is a key selling point for optical mouse but now if you want to work on glass you have to use a mouse pad. and let's just assume my "working on the lap" is just an example to compare that to another situation, if you don't agree with that.

Berman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Hey Fatburger, you use a Logitech optical mouse don't you? I'm thinking of getting one of those because my Microsoft one has committed suicide. You got any hints/tips/advice/wisdom/ketchup on the quality of the Logitech mice as opposed to MS ones?

FatBurger

Illustrious
You don't need this mousepad, it's just nice.

Berman, I haven't used any Microsoft opticals for any extended length of time, so I can't comment on Microsoft vs. Logitech.