[SOLVED] Optic fiber internet

Jan 17, 2022
Hi,

So ever since I changed to optic fiber internet, some websites and games work, certain websites load painfully slow and some aren't reachable at all.

This is not the case with other devices through the same router and cables.

We tried some basic problem solving (such as resetting my network through windows, uninstalling both my VPN and Virus scanner, etc.), but as of yet found nothing that resolved the issue. This only happens on my desktop, every other device in the house works as intended.

I'm absolutely clueless as to what it could be, does anyone know what could cause this issue, and how to solve it?

Solution
Hi,

So ever since I changed to optic fiber internet, some websites and games work, certain websites load painfully slow and some aren't reachable at all.

We tried some basic problem solving (such as resetting my network through windows, uninstalling both my VPN and Virus scanner, etc.), but as of yet found nothing that resolved the issue. This only happens on my desktop, every other device in the house works as intended.

I'm absolutely clueless as to what it could be, does anyone know what could cause this issue, and how to solve it?
Start by disabling IPv6 on your PC.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

Reactions: Ampheoxys
Solution
Jan 17, 2022
So, just out of curiosity (as you hit the nail right on the head with that one).

Everyone I talked to seemed to give really complicated, and rather long answers with loads of troubleshooting methods and you manage to fix the issue in 1 sentence. Is there any downside to having IPv6 disabled (as it's standard enabled by Windows I assume)?

kanewolf

Titan
So, just out of curiosity (as you hit the nail right on the head with that one).

Everyone I talked to seemed to give really complicated, and rather long answers with loads of troubleshooting methods and you manage to fix the issue in 1 sentence. Is there any downside to having IPv6 disabled (as it's standard enabled by Windows I assume)?
No downside that I know of.

kanewolf

Titan

Your symptoms, of slow loading and some websites not being reachable are classic symptoms of IPv6 problems. Although IPv6 was supposed to take over, it hasn't. And consequently, there are still problems.

Jan 17, 2022
Your symptoms, of slow loading and some websites not being reachable are classic symptoms of IPv6 problems. Although IPv6 was supposed to take over, it hasn't. And consequently, there are still problems.
So this is essentially a temporary solution that may not work in the far future (when IPv6 is the total norm), but for now there's no harm or issue in using it?

kanewolf

Titan
So this is essentially a temporary solution that may not work in the far future (when IPv6 is the total norm), but for now there's no harm or issue in using it?
Temporary as in 5 years or 10 years. IPv6 was launched in 2012 -- https://www.worldipv6launch.org/ I have no way to predict when (if ?? ) IPv6 will be dominant.
But as long a you have a home router, keeping your LAN on IPv4 simplifies everything.