Optical Audio Confusion

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Hi

I'm having some confusion getting optical audio working through my PC. I've never done it before, so I could be missing something. I currently have my PC and PS4 sharing my monitor and 2.1 speaker set up. My PC is set up using analog audio and my PS4 is using optical. The source is changed along with the monitor's output when I go on the PS4. However, the audio sounds like it's much better with optical whilst playing on the PS4 and I would like to try it via my PC. For some reason I can't get it to work though. What could I be doing wrong here? One end of the optical cable is plugged into the main subwoofer speaker and I plugged the other into my sound card. It's an ASUS XONAR DGX. I've changed the audio device to S/PDIF (Pass Through Device) and I've tried changing the source etc., but nothing works.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Solution
Do you mean S/PDIF pass-through device in Windows playback devices? Xonar DGX has an S/PDIF header on the sound card for compatible graphics cards with Hdmi to channel it's own audio through the GPU. I'm not sure on this but appears the pass-through device option is the S/PDIF header on the sound card.

Think what you want is to make default in Windows playback devices is Speakers: Asus Xonar DGX Audio Device, and in Xonar software check S/PDIF and PCM

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Do you mean S/PDIF pass-through device in Windows playback devices? Xonar DGX has an S/PDIF header on the sound card for compatible graphics cards with Hdmi to channel it's own audio through the GPU. I'm not sure on this but appears the pass-through device option is the S/PDIF header on the sound card.

Think what you want is to make default in Windows playback devices is Speakers: Asus Xonar DGX Audio Device, and in Xonar software check S/PDIF and PCM

Solution

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
In playback devices, yeah. Not sure what you mean about the sound card header for compatible graphics cards, but I'm using a Display Port with my GPU.

Okay, I've tried what you suggested, but I'm not sure if that's made any difference. As I have both analog connectors and the optical in, I could still be getting audio output via analog...? When I say it's connected via analog - the green jack is still plugged into my sound card, which has a red and white jack that goes into the subwoofer, otherwise it won't work, and two more red and white jacks into the subwoofer for the two stereo speakers.

EDIT: I think I might be getting somewhere... Having S/PDIF and PCM checked in the Xonar software, changing the source and/or enabling S/PDIF pass-through device in the Windows playback devices works. If I enable the speakers with the S/PDIF pass-through device still enabled, the sound goes loud, distorted and crackly.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Getting closer.

The S/PDIF header pins i meant is actually on the sound card pcb. If you look at the manual it mentions S/PDIF header can use to connect a S/PDIF wire to a capable GPU. Thought passthrough had something to do with that.

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Just tried it again, though I swear I tried before and it didn't work, but I can disconnect two of the analog jacks if the optical is plugged in and leave the other two analog jacks in for the left and right speakers. Enabling the S/PDIF device, enabling the option in the Xonar control panel and changing the source works. Again, if I enable the speaker device and change the source back, it emits horrible loud and distorted sound.

I think that's it. Thanks for your help. :D