Question Optical disc contents not loading with file manager ?

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Hello, none of my 3 optical drives loads the disc contents with file manager,Q-Dir or Dopus. However the info loads the contents using the the command prompt and when booting in safe mode. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the most suspect apps with no success. Funny it loads with file manager once in a blue Moon. Maybe a driver? Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks.
Jeff

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model optical drives?

Do you have 3 optical drives actually installed or have you tried 3 optical drives - just one at a time?

If the latter, then try swapping in known working data/power cables.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model optical drives?

Do you have 3 optical drives actually installed or have you tried 3 optical drives - just one at a time?

If the latter, then try swapping in known working data/power cables.

Thanks for the reply. Here:
Windows 10 pro, i5 4590, Gigabyte Z97x GTX, Kingston 32Gb DDR3 4x8, 1080 Ti,.
My i7 7490k burned up after 2.5 years @ 4.4 GHz 27/7. Replacements are priced ridiculously high. i5 was $47.00. :)
1 Pioneer BDR-206BK, 1 Pioneer BDR-209BK, 1 Asus 4k friendly BW-16D1HT. All have been tested in another PC. Changed cables, removed the drives leaving one at a time. M.2 restriced usage. Tested all other SATA ports + installed a SATA 6Gb expansion board which changed nothing. Like I said, the drives are working just fine. There is something in the way file manager is working with the optical drives that is FUBAR. Funny VLC and PowerDVD 19 loads and plays optical drive stuff just fine. Yes, I also tried uninstalling/installing both plus other apps that may be causing problems. Windows three year old installation may be a mess but the drive issue is the only ill part about the current Win10 installation
Thanks..
Jeff

Ralston18

Titan
With File Manager seemingly at the heart of it all perhaps you are dealing with some file corruption within Windows.

Look in File History for any failed updates. Especially any failed updates that occurred just prior to the load failures.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for other errors that you can associate with the failures.

Try running the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

You also have two other tools that may help in much the same manner: "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

Lots of work involved so just take your time, be methodical, allow Windows some time to "do things", and keep notes.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
With File Manager seemingly at the heart of it all perhaps you are dealing with some file corruption within Windows.

Look in File History for any failed updates. Especially any failed updates that occurred just prior to the load failures.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for other errors that you can associate with the failures.

Try running the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

You also have two other tools that may help in much the same manner: "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

Lots of work involved so just take your time, be methodical, allow Windows some time to "do things", and keep notes.
Alkready checked the data intergrity with scannow. Once in awhile file manager displays the disk contents. I'm trying to avoid a fresh win10 installation. I built this machine almost six years ago. Think I'm almost ready for an upgrade, but in the meantime I'd like the PC to 100% (if that's possible:)Anyway my PC has one bizarre problem..

Ralston18

Titan
With File Manager working "once in awhile" or so makes me think that there is some other factor either present or absent when File Manager does happen to work.

When the disk contents are displayed does that apply to any optical disks or perhaps just certain optical disks?

Noted that contents can be read in Safe Mode - correct

Safe Mode is a minimal installation. So fewer processes etc. would be running. That leads me to thinking that some other process may interfering for the most part with reading the optical disks.

Are you familiar with Process Explorer?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Look for processes that you can associate with File Manager, Q-Dir, or Dopus. [Likewise for VLC and PowerDVD 19.]

====

You mentioned being able to load contents via the Command Prompt.

Another way to look at what may be going on is via Powershell.

Get-Process cmdlet

https://adamtheautomator.com/powershell-get-process/

And after some general poking around, I also found this interesting:

http://revertservice.com/10/dsmsvc/

Truly do not know how deep you wish to delve into the matter overall. However, you have done quite a bit of work and an additional tool or two may pick up on something that has not be noticeable thus far.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Doesn't matter what is on the disk in use. Booting into windows I can access all disk drives using the command prompt. Also VLC and PowerDVD19 will show movies, photos etc. Just file manager type programs fail. File manager, fail, Q-Dir fail and Directory Opus........ Fail. It's only the optical drives that fail to load contents. SSD's and HDD are fully accessible using any file manager.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
System Config > Services > Device Setup Manager

What is it set at?

What I am trying to identify or otherwise discover is some process or service that File Manager, etc. uses/needs to work with Optical drives.

Versus VLC or PowerDVD 19 which already have what is needed or can use what may be there.

You could also try leaving VLC or PowerDVD running in the background and test the failing file managers. Maybe in varying combinations.

Idea being that the file manager(s) just might "piggy-back" off one the working apps.

Perhaps only with some TBD set of circumstances - that "once in a Blue moon" scenario.

Are you able to open Powershell as Admin and run the Get-Service cmdlet?

And more specifically:

Get-Service -DisplayName "w*"

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
System Config > Services > Device Setup Manager

What is it set at?

What I am trying to identify or otherwise discover is some process or service that File Manager, etc. uses/needs to work with Optical drives.

Versus VLC or PowerDVD 19 which already have what is needed or can use what may be there.

You could also try leaving VLC or PowerDVD running in the background and test the failing file managers. Maybe in varying combinations.

Idea being that the file manager(s) just might "piggy-back" off one the working apps.

Perhaps only with some TBD set of circumstances - that "once in a Blue moon" scenario.

Are you able to open Powershell as Admin and run the Get-Service cmdlet?

And more specifically:

Get-Service -DisplayName "w*"
I'll give it a try in a bit. Thanks
Edit: Enabling/disabling different combos of VLC and PowerDVD didn't do anything.
Device setup manager is checked but the service is stopped.
Powershell, something wrong with the syntax I'm using. "Get-Service -DisplayName "w*"
I have installed reinstalled other programs that may interfere like EZ-CD, and others.
Jeff

Last edited:

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Stumped everybody. LoL Guess a fresh 10 install will work. Ain't doing it. When cryto **** [Moderator edit to remove profanity.] stop messing with newer components I will upgrade with last gen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
Powershell: did you run as Admin?

Results should be similar to:

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-Service -DisplayName "w*"

Status Name DisplayName
------ ---- -----------
Running AudioEndpointBu... Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
Running Audiosrv Windows Audio
Stopped dot3svc Wired AutoConfig
Running EventLog Windows Event Log
Running FontCache Windows Font Cache Service
Running FontCache3.0.0.0 Windows Presentation Foundation Fon...
Stopped FrameServer Windows Camera Frame Server
Stopped icssvc Windows Mobile Hotspot Service
Running LanmanWorkstation Workstation
Running LicenseManager Windows License Manager Service
Stopped MixedRealityOpe... Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR Service
Running mpssvc Windows Defender Firewall
Stopped msiserver Windows Installer
Stopped perceptionsimul... Windows Perception Simulation Service
Stopped PushToInstall Windows PushToInstall Service
Stopped SDRSVC Windows Backup
Running SecurityHealthS... Windows Security Service
Stopped Sense Windows Defender Advanced Threat Pr...
Stopped spectrum Windows Perception Service
Running stisvc Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
Running TokenBroker Web Account Manager
Stopped TrustedInstaller Windows Modules Installer
Running W32Time Windows Time
Stopped WaaSMedicSvc Windows Update Medic Service

:
:

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Powershell: did you run as Admin?

Results should be similar to:

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

Status Name DisplayName
------ ---- -----------
Running FontCache3.0.0.0 Windows Presentation Foundation Fon...

:
:
Here we go! Do you see anything?
Thx
Jeff

Status Name DisplayName
------ ---- -----------
Stopped FontCache3.0.0.0 Windows Presentation Foundation Fon...
Stopped WalletService WalletService
Stopped WarpJITSvc WarpJITSvc
Running WbioSrvc Windows Biometric Service
Running Wcmsvc Windows Connection Manager
Stopped wcncsvc Windows Connect Now - Config Registrar
Stopped WebClient WebClient
Stopped Wecsvc Windows Event Collector
Stopped WEPHOSTSVC Windows Encryption Provider Host Se...
Stopped WerSvc Windows Error Reporting Service
Stopped WFDSConMgrSvc Wi-Fi Direct Services Connection Ma...
Running WinHttpAutoProx... WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Se...
Running Winmgmt Windows Management Instrumentation
Stopped WinRM Windows Remote Management (WS-Manag...
Stopped wisvc Windows Insider Service
Running WlanSvc WLAN AutoConfig
Stopped WManSvc Windows Management Service
Running wmiApSrv WMI Performance Adapter
Running WpnService Windows Push Notifications System S...
Running WpnUserService_... Windows Push Notifications User Ser...
Running WSearch Windows Search
Stopped wuauserv Windows Update
Stopped WwanSvc WWAN AutoConfig

Ralston18

Titan
Not seeing anything via "Get-Service....

At least not that is (as I was hoping) "obvious.

I.e., some Stopped service that clearly involving File Manager.

I have started poking about in Task Scheduler and Disk Cleanup to look for something that is interfering with or otherwise impacting File Manager.

Do you have any indexing enabled or any sort of automatic file cleanups enabled?

About all I can come up with for the moment is to continue delving into the services.

Reference:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/find-dependencies-windows-service

There are similar links to be found. Some offer an app or utility to do such things. Forego such things for the time being: no need for more downloads, registry edits, and so forth.

Again, try to compare your system's File Manger to another known working system with optical drives. Maybe move an optical drive to another system to do so.

And there is the opposite approach; Use Process Explorer to find something running on your system that involves/impacts File Manager that does not appear in or on the "working system".

Process Explorer is free via Microsoft.

It would be nice if the problem is something simple - missed due to an error of omission or commission on my part. Hopefully someone else will post accordingly. I have no problem with that.

In the meantime, I think it is still a matter of looking for a distinct, relevant difference.

Last edited:

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Not seeing anything via "Get-Service....

At least not that is (as I was hoping) "obvious.

I.e., some Stopped service that clearly involving File Manager.

I have started poking about in Task Scheduler and Disk Cleanup to look for something that is interfering with or otherwise impacting File Manager.

Do you have any indexing enabled or any sort of automatic file cleanups enabled?

About all I can come up with for the moment is to continue delving into the services.

Reference:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/find-dependencies-windows-service

There are similar links to be found. Some offer an app or utility to do such things. Forego such things for the time being: no need for more downloads, registry edits, and so forth.

Again, try to compare your system's File Manger to another known working system with optical drives. Maybe move an optical drive to another system to do so.

And there is the opposite approach; Use Process Explorer to find something running on your system that involves/impacts File Manager that does not appear in or on the "working system".

Process Explorer is free via Microsoft.

It would be nice if the problem is something simple - missed due to an error of omission or commission on my part. Hopefully someone else will post accordingly. I have not problem with that.

In the meantime, I think it is still a matter of looking for a distinct, relevant difference.
Just indexing is enabled. The problem is at least interesting I appriciate your
help.
All ready did the drive swapping with another PC. Tried all 3 drives just for the heck of it. The PC with the problem only has one optical drive installed at this time. All drives are AOK and file manager works as advertised in the test PC.
Thank you
Jeff

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Hello, none of my 3 optical drives loads the disc contents with file manager,Q-Dir or Dopus. However the info loads the contents using the the command prompt and when booting in safe mode. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the most suspect apps with no success. Funny it loads with file manager once in a blue Moon. Maybe a driver? Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks.
Jeff
Problem solved.
Replaced the old girl with my new/old build.
Ryzen 5 5600x
Asus Prime X570-P
Corsair PC4-3600 w/stupid LED's. My wife loves the LED's.. LoL
My old Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.
Phanteks Enthoo Pro full tower with window.
+ trusty old Cool Master 80 Plus Gold 1200w. Igor said the lights dim when power up the unit! Muhahahaha.
...And yes, all three of my ancient optical drives work great. Fresh Win 10 installation.
Total cost.... $607.xx USD.
Thanks for those who helped.