Question Optical drive only working if booted with disc inside

Aug 20, 2019
I'm having a slightly strange issue with an ASUS DRW-24B1ST optical drive in a new desktop build with Windows 10.

Whenever I put a disk in and opened it in file explorer it would eject it with the message "Please insert a disc into drive...". I tried various things:
  • Uninstalling in device manager
  • Updating optical drive drivers manually
  • Disabling autoplay
  • Checking filters in the registry
  • Uninstalling the egreen utility
I then happened to leave a disc in on a reboot and it all started working. It seems that any time I boot it with the drive empty it doesn't work at all, but if I boot with a disc in the drive it will work for that disc and any future discs I put in.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why this is happening and wanted to know if anyone had any ideas. I've had a poke in the BIOS (Gigabyte) and there's nothing glaringly obvious, though I may well have missed something.

mandeep57

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
I'm having a slightly strange issue with an ASUS DRW-24B1ST optical drive in a new desktop build with Windows 10.

Whenever I put a disk in and opened it in file explorer it would eject it with the message "Please insert a disc into drive...". I tried various things:
  • Uninstalling in device manager
  • Updating optical drive drivers manually
  • Disabling autoplay
  • Checking filters in the registry
  • Uninstalling the egreen utility
I then happened to leave a disc in on a reboot and it all started working. It seems that any time I boot it with the drive empty it doesn't work at all, but if I boot with a disc in the drive it will work for that disc and any future discs I put in.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why this is happening and wanted to know if anyone had any ideas. I've had a poke in the BIOS (Gigabyte) and there's nothing glaringly obvious, though I may well have missed something.

I had same issue....As it was New so i just replaced it from shop and now its working fine