Optical drive problem? Discs not recognised

celticguardian

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
CD Drive not apearing in device manager, nor is discs being recognised.

Whenever I press the button for the optical drive, it opens and closes with no problem whatsoever. I place the CD/DVD inside....but nothing happens. It is not recognised in the "my computer" and when I checked "Device Manager" it would appear that there ios no mention of the optical drive at all.

This is a brand new computer build. Please note that this issue affects ALL discs, not just specific ones. Can anyone please help

Solution
I think you have usb3.0 adapters; such drivers are not present on windows 7 installs.
What is your os?

You can download the drivers directly from asus:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/970-PRO-GAMING-AURA/HelpDesk_Download/

Lutfij

Titan
1| Can you please pass on your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
ODD:

2| Can you state when the issue cropped up?

3| It's possible that your PSU isn't capable of delivering the appropriate power to all devices when you boot up. You could rule out a faulty ODD by borrowing one from your neighbor/friend and see if that is recognized in your Device Manager after boot up.

4| Speaking of recognized, can you see if the device is recognized within BIOS as a bootable device?

A cd drive needs both a power connection which you have, as well as a sata data connection.
Double check that you have a good motherboard sata connection to the cd drive.
Also, some motherboards have aux sata controller chips. If you have such a chip, try connecting to a motherboard bases sata connector, namely sata 0 or 1.

celticguardian

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
CPU: AMD FX 8320 8-core Processor 3500 Mhz, 4 Cores 8 Logical processor
Motherboard: Asus Z90 Pro Gaming
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 4GB
RAM 12 Gb
SSD/HDD: i have about 3, but only one is being recognsed

PSU is CX 750 W
Chassis: dont know

OS WIndows 7

rest I dunno

The issue cropped up as soon as I turned it on.

Dunno what ODD means.

When I access the BIOS Utility; I got to Boot Menu have there are three options:

P1: ST3500418AS (4769335 Mb)
Seagate M3 Portable (953869MB)
UEFI: Seagate Portable (953869 MB)

I do not recognize "Asus Z90 Pro Gaming" as a valid amd motherboard.

Regardless, such motherboards require drivers for lan, usb, and other adapters to run properly.
Unfortunately, such drivers come on a cd with the motherboard.
Catch 22.

Is your cd drive sata connected or usb connected?

In this context, ODD means Optical Disk Drive.

You may need to download the needed motherboard drivers from the motherboard web site to a usb stick.

celticguardian

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Sorry I mean ASUS Pro Graming Aura as the motherboard. I connected my cd drive via a red cable direct to the motherboard. It opens and closes with no problem. I was given a CD drive with the motherboard

I think you have usb3.0 adapters; such drivers are not present on windows 7 installs.
What is your os?

You can download the drivers directly from asus:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/970-PRO-GAMING-AURA/HelpDesk_Download/

Solution