Optical Drive question

PrettyDecentGuy

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017
CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($178.89 @ OutletPC) Motherboard: Gigabyte - H370 AORUS Gaming 3 WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz) Memory: ADATA - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($90.98 @ Newegg) Storage: Western Digital - RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.50 @ Amazon) Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($189.99 @ B&H) Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($53.98 @ Newegg

So far these are the componets I have yet to buy. Already bought the case, have a mouse, monitor and keyboard. My question is, will I need the wires from my old computer? The ones that hooked the drive to the motherboard. I have the case and the optical drive installed in it. Just wanted to see if it would fit. Will my motherboard come with wires? Or do I need the ones from the old one?. Thanks for reading. Its my first time building

My question got cut off. My bad

Solution
The MB will come with several cables. And your PS will also give more cables than you will need. You should get enough new cable to accomplish your build. Don't throw away your old stuff - never know when they will come in handy.

I prefer internal DVD/CD drives. They detect in the bios and the drivers are solid. USB2 external drives have trouble with RW media and USB3 drives can cause mouse and keyboard glitches during RW media writing. (Its a power thing).

Your build list looks good. My only suggestions are get 16G Ram and move to a 650W or more PS. The PS is only about a $20 upgrade but will give you a lot of breathing room when your GPU is drawing 300W and you CPU is drawing 60W. I like the fact that my PS never gets...

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Agree! Internal optical drives are no longer state of the art and also current cases released to a big extend no longer foresee 3,5'' slots which I like. :)

ehmkec

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
The MB will come with several cables. And your PS will also give more cables than you will need. You should get enough new cable to accomplish your build. Don't throw away your old stuff - never know when they will come in handy.

I prefer internal DVD/CD drives. They detect in the bios and the drivers are solid. USB2 external drives have trouble with RW media and USB3 drives can cause mouse and keyboard glitches during RW media writing. (Its a power thing).

Your build list looks good. My only suggestions are get 16G Ram and move to a 650W or more PS. The PS is only about a $20 upgrade but will give you a lot of breathing room when your GPU is drawing 300W and you CPU is drawing 60W. I like the fact that my PS never gets above 50% utilization and temp stay below 40C. It does not add significant heat to the inside of the case.

Good luck...

Solution