Optical Drives, Nero, & Dual-cores

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Since getting my new dual-core machine, I've been finding the burning DVDs with nero has been a hit and miss affair. Mostly, on more than 50% of the times I try to burn a DVD, the lead-in time takes forever (we're talking 15+ minutes here). this is happening both with Nero 6.6.014 and 7.0.12. Burner is an LG GSA-4163B.

Anyone else heard problems like these, or got sme solutions to try?

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
You must not relise it yet but you are in the Optical Storages, so no one can hear you, except me. Try downloading DVD Shrink. I'm pretty sure it burns them too, I've used it though.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Ya, I know that no-on can hear me, but I dind't think it would be nice to bother people elsewhere :p

As for the firmware, it was the first thing I did when I discovered the problem. Didn't fix anything. I've seen a couple reports (but not many) about the same problem with Nero, but other drives, so it seems to be a software problem, and not a hardware one. My best guess is that there's a driver conflict somewhere.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Well, I did a clean install on a new partition, only this time I didn't install the nVidia IDE SW Controller drivers. Haven't highly tested it so far, but it seems that those drivers could have been my problem.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Andrzej_Pl

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2005
Don't tell me...my Toshiba RD5372 either asks all the time for empty disk, and doesn't react on anything (and I use Dysan/Verbatim/TDK, not cheap crap). Or now, with nero 7 it takes 20 minutes to burn 4,7 gb.
Though it burns CDs without a problem
And yes, I have newest firmware and newest chipset drivers)

But still, I'm going to get rid of that Toshiba it's lousy, slow, error correction couldn't be worse. I just feel like using Lite-on...I want Asus burner (wanted to go for Plextor, but they use now BenQ optic stuff, so it's big NO for me :p)