Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I've ordered the GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 (rev3.3) Mainboard.

I'm trying to decide what the best drives are for this board - IDE or SATA. Have read of some problems with SATA drives, but don't know. If anybody has this board and could offer some advice, I'd appreciate it.

I'll probably do a CD/DVD Rom and a second CD/DVD Burner. Speed is not as important as reliability and noise. Any recommendations?

I'll also put in a FDD.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827152079

27-152-079-02.jpg

27-152-079-04.jpg

there ya go Barnes :D

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
I am using the DS3 with a SATA hard drive and DVD writer, as well as an old PATA (what you call IDE) drive. No problems so far. I also used my old PATA DVD writer for several months before I got the SATA drive, and it worked fine as well.

I have heard a few vague implications of people having problems when connecting drives to the addon JMicron drive controller, but have never experienced any myself.

The JMicron chip controls the purple SATA ports, used for RAID, and the PATA ports, if you have any older drives to connect. Like I said though, I ran for several months with two PATA drives and never had any trouble.

Hope this helps.

machdoc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Just make sure your PSU has some separate SATA cords or buy an adapter ahead of time. My PSU came with 2 SATA BUT they come from ONE cord---and you can't reach the hard drive AND the DVD-R with the one cord.

I am firing up my system for first time tonight---hope it POSTs....

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I had trouble getting it to do RAID with the PATA port in use. Something you want to make sure of is to get the newest drivers for the Jmicron controller and if possible slipstreaming them into your XP disk before you install.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Yes, you can. When you start the install process, there is a prompt that tells you to press F6 to install a SCSI or other disc controller driver. At this point you can tell it where to look for the new driver.

Slipstreaming would save you the trouble of doing this, but that's the only reason to bother with it.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I had trouble getting it to do RAID with the PATA port in use. Something you want to make sure of is to get the newest drivers for the Jmicron controller and if possible slipstreaming them into your XP disk before you install.
I'm not using RAID - and the only JMicron drivers on the Gigabyte site are RAID drivers - so I'm guessing I don't really need to install them.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
I actually have not used the JMicron SATA ports, only the PATA ports. I never installed any special drivers for them. The SATA ports may require them, especially if you are running them in AHCI mode. I'm not completely sure.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I'm not using RAID - and the only JMicron drivers on the Gigabyte site are RAID drivers - so I'm guessing I don't really need to install them.

If you use the purple ports you need the drivers installed. And get the newest drivers from Jmicron not gigabyte, never get drivers from the motherboard makers website unless you can't find them elsewhere, they are always out of date.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I actually have not used the JMicron SATA ports, only the PATA ports. I never installed any special drivers for them. The SATA ports may require them, especially if you are running them in AHCI mode. I'm not completely sure.

Pretty sure they don't NEED them unless you are doing RAID, but having the newest ones is a good idea. And the orange ports don't work in AHCI mode BTW, if you turn AhCI on for the orange ports your computer won't boot.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
How do I get the SATA2 Drivers to load when installing Windows? Can you give me a link ... are these the ones?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2456

Go here: http://www.jmicron.com/Driver.htm

Extract the files and put the files in the floppy32 folder (or the floppy64 if you are installing 64-bit OS) onto a floppy. When you start installing XP down at the bottom it will say something to the effect of "Press F6 to install extra drivers", hit F6 and it should detect the drivers in the floppy drive and ask if you want to install those.