Optimal case airflow

FAHADPC

Reputable
May 15, 2015
OK here it goes

I have 3 intakes in front, 1 exhaust in the back

I just ordered an NZXT X52 and i aim to put it up top how should it be??

Whats stuck up against the top of the case? Radiator or the fans?

Also what should i set them as? Intake or exhaust?

Solution
Yep. I have an X61, same thing just slightly larger, I've had it as exhaust with fans below pushing, fans above pulling, as an intake with fans pushing and now it's intake as fans pulling.

There's really not much difference in any application, total varience was only 6°C on the cpu and 2°C in case and 3°C on the gpu with all the different ways to mount, but now it's a quick vac on the rad to clean and it's done. With fans in push, you need to remove the fans first before being able to clean the fins on the rad.

Think of it this way. Fans are round. The fin area is square (120mm x 120mm). With fans in pull, the vacuum draws from the entire square surface area on the other side of the rad, siphoned through the fins, out the round fan in...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on just how fast you plan on pushing the fans. When it comes to radiators, fans below @1200rpm work more effectively as pull, if the fans run above @1500 they work more efficiently as push. In between they are equitable.

Also depends on the fan. The Noctua nf-f12 for instance is a direct flow design fan, it has an almost 90° exhaust cone, so is dedicated to straight line air, making it far more effective as a push mount fan at any speed. Some fans like the older Corsair SP are very broad exhaust cone, so are better as pull, the HP versions better as push.

One thing to note, fans/rads used in exhaust are far easier to clean if the fans are case mount and the rad hangs below, most dust getting stuck on the rad. You won't get the 'dust donut' that happens with push mounted fans.

And then there's leds. Most ppl with led fans will mount them below the rad in push to take advantage of the led lighting, and not worry about the 3-6°C difference on the cpu as most times that's honestly negligible.

FAHADPC

Reputable
May 15, 2015

The Kraken X52 doesnt have LED fans, so you.re recommending Exhaust out of the case with Rad under the fans?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yep. I have an X61, same thing just slightly larger, I've had it as exhaust with fans below pushing, fans above pulling, as an intake with fans pushing and now it's intake as fans pulling.

There's really not much difference in any application, total varience was only 6°C on the cpu and 2°C in case and 3°C on the gpu with all the different ways to mount, but now it's a quick vac on the rad to clean and it's done. With fans in push, you need to remove the fans first before being able to clean the fins on the rad.

Think of it this way. Fans are round. The fin area is square (120mm x 120mm). With fans in pull, the vacuum draws from the entire square surface area on the other side of the rad, siphoned through the fins, out the round fan in pull. In push, the air is coming almost directly from a round fan, just a few mm above the fins, so 90% of the air is still in a round area when it goes through the rad. Even with good dust filters, you'll still get buildup from the micro-fine stuff and it'll be a dust-donut after a few months, nothing behind the motor, nothing beyond the fan blade area. This'll require removal of the fans to get it out. The downside to push.

Either way has drawbacks and advantages, but both are similar in application, much depends on your personal taste too as there's not that much difference in performance.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Might want to actually look at a radiator. Has screw holes on both sides, fans/rad can be mounted either direction, push or pull or both is upto the installer. There's no right answer as to how. Can be either.
The only stipulation is with top mount, airflow should be exhaust, with front mount, airflow should be intake, but even that can be changed upon circumstance. I've seen a few pc's with intake at rear/top and exhaust out the front. It's contrary to thermal dynamics, but it still works.