Optimal Case Fan Setup for Kraken x62

ancelarmstrong

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
I am installing a Kraken x62 on my 8700k in my Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case. I am overclocking (4.8ghz). I also have a MSI GTX 1080TI Gaming X.

I have 3 Noctua NF-A14s. I plan on doing this setup:

Kraken x62 as front intake (fans in front of the radiator closest to the exterior of the case).

NF-A14 as rear exhaust.

2x NF-A14s as top exhausts.

Would you all change anything and/or use the fans in a different way? I have a good dust filter on the front of the case.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Why would bringing cooler outside air to cool the radiator better than blowing hot air into it be worse?
The radiator gets hot. When you blow against it, you will get hot air from the other side.
The radiator as exahust = cool air from inside the case becomes hot as it leaves the case. You want this.
The radiator as intake = cool air from outside, becomes hot as it enters the case. You want to avoid this situation.

A radiator as the intake is used rarely unless you have very good airflow to counter the heat buildup inside the case.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Remeber these tips and you're good to go.

1. The radiator should always be EXHAUST or you will get a serious heat issue after an hour or two load inside the case.

2. Only INTAKE needs dust filter. Remove for Exhaust.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I were you I would reverse the radiator fans and use the top and back as intake. Or you could use the radiator on top and turn the front and back into the intake.
Also, standard fan position is usually for the stock heatsink. No need to follow it.

VladDracule

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016

Why would bringing cooler outside air to cool the radiator better than blowing hot air into it be worse?

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
The radiator gets hot. When you blow against it, you will get hot air from the other side.
The radiator as exahust = cool air from inside the case becomes hot as it leaves the case. You want this.
The radiator as intake = cool air from outside, becomes hot as it enters the case. You want to avoid this situation.

A radiator as the intake is used rarely unless you have very good airflow to counter the heat buildup inside the case.

Solution