Optimal Cooling Setup

G

What would be the best heatsink/fan combination to use with the Soyo K7V Dragon+ board and the XP1900 processor considering that some mild overclocking is contemplated? Are there any clearance problems to consider with this board?

I read on one manufacturer's site that the use of thermal past is of dubious value as it dries out and in a year or so and acts more as an insulator than a conductor. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Winger

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
If mild overclocking is in your future, get a nice swifttech hsf, dont use the retail.

the second part is untrue however, as a retail hsf with pad will work fine for the life of the processor(unless the fan dies, but that is not uncommon)

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
the second part is untrue however, as a retail hsf with pad will work fine for the life of the processor(unless the fan dies, but that is not uncommon)

I think he was referring to a thermal paste like Arctic Silver II, rather than a thermal pad. Am I wrong?

I've never heard anything about Arctic Silver II or similar products drying up. Seems like someone would have mentioned it before now if it were the case.

<i>There are two theories on arguing with women. Neither one works.</i>

G

Even if Arctic Silver 2 dried, it SILVER. Its only purpose is to fill in the holes so that you have 100% clean contact.

I'd be very anxious to see a site show otherwise, but I don't know how that would physically happen.

AMD: Join the rebellion!

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I didn't know thermal pastes have an ingredient that would evaporate at room or rather at 40-60 degrees celcius. The thing with the paste is your not supposed to go crazy with it. Just put a bit on the core to rid any air pockets.

<font color=red><i>I refugee from Guatanamo Bay,
dance around the border like I'm Cassius Clay
</i></font color=red>

svol

Champion
Thermal pads give bad thermal conduction, it's best to use Arctic Silver 2 instead. Take a look at <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com</A> for info.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

buy it from <A HREF="http://www.3dfxcool.com" target="_new"><font color=purple>3dfx</font color=purple></A>

<font color=purple><b>Techie2001</font color=purple></b>
<i>(Crazy Alien)</i>
If it ain't broke, Don't fix it. :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TechiE2001 on 01/18/02 02:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Yes.

<font color=purple><b>Techie2001</font color=purple></b>
<i>(Crazy Alien)</i>
If it ain't broke, Don't fix it. :wink:

svol

Champion
Yes, but he want optimal cooling and also will overclock the CPU, so Arctic Silver will be best for him.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
My post was actually more for all the newbies who will come to this forum and leave thinking they have to spend 10 bucks on as2 and 40 bucks on a cooler when they have no intention of ever overclocking.

The fact of the matter is that if you dont plan to overclock, the retail default heatsink and the thermal pad is ALL you will EVER need.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!