Optimal GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R SATA port connection and BIOS setup

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tkblingx2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Hi,
I just put together my first machine with a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard and was hoping someone could give me the optimal setup for my SATA connections.
The following are the parts that I have that I am trying to connect via SATA:

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

HDDs
2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
(Would like a RAID1 setup with Win7 OS Primary drive with these)
2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
(For media/storage/etc, no RAID)

Optical Drives
Pioneer Black Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer SATA BDR-205BKS - OEM
(will use this one primary)
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support

Front Panel
1x eSATA port
Memory Card Reader (will purchase in future, probably only need USB headers but incase I need a SATA port for it)

With the above setup I would like to know which drive I should plug into which SATA ports on the mobo. Also the proper BIOS setup for the SATA ports would be greatly appreciated as well.

I have read that the front panel eSATA should go into the GSATA2_8 or GSATA2_9 port so I can 'hot swap' drives without worry about the system not reading them etc so that is what I am currently planning on.
The rest though is a mystery to me.
Ive read that even though the mobo has SATA3 (GSATA3_6/7) ports the SATA2 (SATA2_0/1/2/3/4/5) ports controller by the ICH10R chip performs better (even for my SATA 3 1TB HDDs), if so I'm guessing all 4 of my HDDs should go into the SATA2 ports is some order? And the optical drives I have no clue :p sooo any help would be deeply appreciated!

This is my first post here so if I am missing any info thats need please let me know and I will update it ASAP.

Thanks for looking through this and hope I can get someone to help! :)

Solution
How do you like it so far? I'm very interested, as I'm very seriously considering a UD9, and out of the handful of cases that will work with it, the HAF looked, to me at least, to be the pretty much 'ultimate' selection. I like CM's to begin with - have done a couple Cosmos now - I'm happy as a clam with mine, and the guy who got the machine I spec'd the other for is ecstatic with his machine! Have to ask - does it look like it would be a big deal to pull out the board at the back of the top pair of 'hot-plug' bays? I'd kind of want to yank it, and put in a rack that fits three 3½" drives into two 5¼" bays...

I'd do it this way:

Put the pair of DVDs on GSATA2_8 & GSATA2_9;
Put the FP eSATA on SATA2_5; so far as I know, any SATA port...

tkblingx2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Room temps at 79F according to my keyboard

EDIT:
Also opening the case to test out airflow had almost no affect on the temps. Maaaybe a 1 degree drop. At least i know my case is doing well :)

Still a little high +3~+4C {Highs were 63 61 60 58} w/full fan, but okay. The paste takes 7-10 days to set.

@bilbat is correct for asking ambient.

If your room is hot or 77F - 80F+ then your numbers are about right..

WOW - WHAT A GUESS - I was typing before seeing the updated post..I left the tab open from last night ; I was on page 1.

tkblingx2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Haha right on target!
Ya my rooms usually pretty warm thanks to all the electronics.
I'll hold off on OCing for a couple more days just to make sure my temps dont fluctuate and get too high.

bilbat

Splendid
Kind of amusing to me - I wound up 'under water, just because of that! Didn'r really need the cooling - machine was designed as one hell of a 'heat mover'; never thought of the fact that it was gonna move that heat into my poor 10 x 10 bedroom! Even in winter, with the heat vent closed, still was getting over eighty in the room - didn't wanna find out what it would be in summer! Came up with this:
radiatorsmall.jpg

water1006s.jpg

latestcomps001.jpg

frontpanel.jpg

screenssmall.jpg

Radiator, and pump/fan power supply are in the basement ceiling beneath the comp, wall plate has a pair of quick-disconnect water lines, and a molex to monitor fans and pump, as well as the signal for the relay that turns 'em on, little DPMs on the front read the temp drop across the radiator. Beside the fact that I can no longer truss up a turkey, and roast it on my bed, system is whisper quiet...

tkblingx2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Wow now thats impressive!
And I was able to sucessfully "overclock" my memory to the normal speeds of the RAM.

Also for the motherboard LEDs one green LED is lit for the lights to the right of the DIMM ports and also one to the top right of the CPU.

tkblingx2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Well everything WAS running fine until last night/this morning when I tried to turn on my PC and it failed to load win7 (hung at the windows screen but the logo never appeared). So I rebooted the machine then got prompted with an error saying my OC failed and reset it to optimal settings, so I'm currently running with my previously saved CMOS setting of optimal defaults.
Not sure if there is a way to "un-solve" this thread, if not I will just make a new one and hope for your guys intelligence again.

Thanks as always!

(ill edit this post in a bit with the settings I believe I used for the DIMM OCing)

bilbat

Splendid
[:lorbat:6]

First thin I discvered when I went back to check the parameter set I gave you is that I, once again, 'bolixed up' the formatting tags - which may have made part of it unclear [:lectrocrew:7] - think it's fixed, now...

Couple things: may need to 'bump' the Vdimm ("DRAM Voltage") a couple of hundreths, to, say, 1.70V; might also try raising the "QPI/Vtt Voltage" to "1.325V"; if it works, run thermals right away - wanna make sure we're not getting warm!