Optimal HDD Setup

Ptldkid

Reputable
May 11, 2015
I've been spending more time than I would like to admit researching possibilities in my options for how I would like to set up my new upcoming PC build.

So at first I was thinking it would be cool to do a RAID0 with two SSDs for my boot drive, but I feel there isn't really enough of a performance boost to justify doing so, thus I have decided a single Samsung 850 Pro 256gb would suffice. I will probably store most basic programs to it.

Then there will be my secondary drive(s). I will be storing primarily games, along with videos and picture. So for this I was thinking about doing a Raid 0 with 2 2tb HDDs. Would I see enough of a performance boost in gaming to justify doing so? In this scenario I would also get an external backup drive, unsure what kind yet.

So based off the idea of RAID0, I heard WD Blacks are bad because of the TLER, I would go with the RE4s for the RAID0 configuration. Would this still yield optimal performance? Or would an SSHD be best in this case?

If the RAID0 option doesn't really offer any real performance boost, then I would go with a WD Black, and my last question to this, is would it be beneficial to have an SSD cache?

I am simply looking for the best performance, but I won't go with an SSD for my secondary drive until prices go way down.

Any advice is immensely appreciated. What kind of setup do you have? Thank you in advanced.

Solution
RAID in general will not give you any performance boost.

install the SSD and install Windows on it then connect you HDD, initialize it in Disk Management, and install the data and programs.

Just get a single 4TB WD Black

As a Bakup I would go with a 6TB MyBook (USB) or MyCloud (network).
RAID in general will not give you any performance boost.

install the SSD and install Windows on it then connect you HDD, initialize it in Disk Management, and install the data and programs.

Just get a single 4TB WD Black

As a Bakup I would go with a 6TB MyBook (USB) or MyCloud (network).

Solution