[SOLVED] Optimal min & max page filing size for 250 GB SSD, 1TB HDD with 16GB of RAM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
Sadly I don't have those things, but theoretically if I did use the SSD for OS systems and the HDD for installing games, what would be the optimal page filing sizes for both?

I know that the HDD should have a higher page filing, but by how much exactly if you customized it?

Solution
theoretically if I did use the SSD for OS systems and the HDD for installing games, what would be the optimal page filing sizes for both?
Set pagefile to be 1GB initial, 8GB max - on HDD.
Set it to be 16MB initial, 16MB max on SSD.

With 16GB or ram - pagefile should be used minimally (if at all), unless you like to leave several web browsers open with 30 tabs on each while gaming simultaneously. Then you should probably just get more ram.

This will save write cycles on your SSD.
I know, someone will probably tell you, that your SSD will last longer, than you'd be willing to use it.
But when your SSD fails, you'll wish you had been a bit more careful with it and avoided spending unnecessary write cycles.
Essentially what I'm wondering is if multiple partitions have page filing, are they all utilized equally dependent/independent on size or are only the larger page filing partitions used?
Just set pagefile settings as instructed before and forget about it.
You're obsessing about it way too much.

And no - there's absolutely no sense in making multiple pagefiles on different partitions on the same physical disk.
Also you have no control over pagefile usage. Windows will decide it by itself.

Reactions: ShangWang

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
Just set pagefile settings as instructed before and forget about it.
You're obsessing about it way too much.

And no - there's absolutely no sense in making multiple pagefiles on different partitions on the same physical disk.
Also you have no control over pagefile usage. Windows will decide it by itself.
Ok sorry for asking so many questions, but in the case of a crash dump wouldn't 16mb for the system drive SSD be too small or does it just use the HDD instead?

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
Crash dump always goes onto OS drive.
And 16MB pagefile is enough for small crash dump (not enough for full crash dump though).
In that case wouldn't it be better to up it to maybe 200mb? I also believe SSD will wear out by age before it will by writing so I think it's ok to swap on SSD instead. Will preventing a full crash dump cause any problems with fixing errors?

Last edited: