Hi

My Specs are:
MB: ASUS Rog STrix X570-E Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 3070 Ti
Storage: WD Black SN850 M.2
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo (2x16GB)
Screen: 144Hertz 2560x1440px

For instance, when I play 7 days to die. My CPU always remains around 18% usage and my GPU at 70%, VRAM 80%
If I change some Settings like overall Graphics to to medium instead of ultra, the usage doesn't change but i get about 10 FPS more. I'd expect to get more than 80 FPS but I don't know what to change. Is it just a poorly optimised game?
But why won't my GPU use more % to get me more FPS? Are there some general NVIDIA Settings I should use to improve FPS all around?

Solution
My reading says that7dtd uses only a few threads and is largely single threaded.

Be careful how you interpret task manager cpu utilizations.
Windows will spread the activity of a single thread over all available threads.
So, if you had a game that was single threaded and cpu bound, it would show up on a quad core processor as 25%
utilization across all 4 threads.
leading you to think your bottleneck was elsewhere.
It turns our that few games can USEFULLY use more than 4-6 threads.

Your 5900X has relatively strong single thread performance.
There is not much you can do.

To see how sensitive the game is to cpu performance, try a backhanded experiment.
In windows power options reduce your max cpu from 100% to 80%
See how it impacts...
Run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.

Total cpu usage is fairly meaningless especially with a cpu like the 5900x. If a game only uses 4 cpu threads for example and 1 is close to 100% the cpu can be the limiting factor even when total cpu usage is very low. You should monitor all cores/threads individually.

Jan 10, 2022
Run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.

Total cpu usage is fairly meaningless especially with a cpu like the 5900x. If a game only uses 4 cpu threads for example and 1 is close to 100% the cpu can be the limiting factor even when total cpu usage is very low. You should monitor all cores/threads individually.
Sorry that Site seems a bit questionable apparently. Are you not worried about that site?

Jan 10, 2022
Maybe this would help, I checked the performance of all CPU cores:

CPU00: 40%
CPU01: 10%
CPU02: 30%
CPU03: 10%
CPU04: 20% to 70% constant jumps
CPU05: 40% to 90% constant jumps
CPU06: 50%
CPU07: 10%
CPU08: 70%
CPU09: 10%
CPU10: 20% to 80% constant jumps
CPU11: 20% to 80% constant jumps
CPU12: 10%
CPU13: 05%
CPU14: 20%
CPU15: 10%
CPU16: 10%
CPU17: 05%
CPU18: 15%
CPU19: 05%
CPU20: 25%
CPU21: 10%
CPU22: 20%
CPU23: 30%

Sorry I couldn't upload the picture anywhere. Seems like only 6 cores are properly being used but maybe that's just the game or something :s

My reading says that7dtd uses only a few threads and is largely single threaded.

Be careful how you interpret task manager cpu utilizations.
Windows will spread the activity of a single thread over all available threads.
So, if you had a game that was single threaded and cpu bound, it would show up on a quad core processor as 25%
utilization across all 4 threads.
leading you to think your bottleneck was elsewhere.
It turns our that few games can USEFULLY use more than 4-6 threads.

Your 5900X has relatively strong single thread performance.
There is not much you can do.

To see how sensitive the game is to cpu performance, try a backhanded experiment.
In windows power options reduce your max cpu from 100% to 80%
See how it impacts performance, and what a 20% boost in ipc might do.

Reactions: JimmyBoyi
Solution
Sorry that Site seems a bit questionable apparently. Are you not worried about that site?
I use that site a lot and it is frequently requested here for an initial look for possible causes of performance issues. The link provided for the results can answer many questions that would otherwise take a while to go through.

Games will usually only use a certain numbers of cores/threads. I can only think of 1 game that could use all those threads, most games use 12 or less. As a few threads are seeing high usage that might be the limiting factor, it would explain why changing game settings doesn’t improve fps.

Reactions: JimmyBoyi