Optimal setup for max settings in both Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2

machine67891234

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: End of April, First week of May

Budget Range: Under $1000 (the ideal would be a setup that would allow both games to run seamlessly in maximum/extreme settings)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Internet

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Monitor (19"), Mouse, OS (I have Windows 7 64 bit disk somewhere)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I'm familiar with the newegg.com setup, but will look elsewhere if prices are better

Parts Preferences: I would like to focus on quality parts and system reliability. Preferably Intel processors, NVIDIA GPU (SC and D3 supposedly run best). Current computer has lasted >10 years without any failures.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Not sure what this is

Monitor Resolution: Monitor is 19" LCD, so likely 1280x1024

Additional Comments: Quiet system (e.g. I don't want 15 fans running constantly); Small case would be a nice feature but not essential; To summarize my objectives with this build it is to build a quality system that is reliable and able to run SC 2 in extreme settings and Diablo 3 in maximum settings seamlessly. The secondary objective after achieving maximum settings is to minimize cost.

I should also add that I have not built a computer before but I'm technically proficient (e.g. degree is in engineering :)

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Requirements for Diabo 3 are posted here on Battle.net:

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-system-requirements

You should be able to maximize your investment with a relatively mid-range video card, SSD and a moderate amount of RAM, say 8Gb. Especially given the 1024 resolution which is less demanding than 1080p.

I do not believe either game really pushes the graphics envelope. I know I run Starcraft II on my laptop with max settings. It is a 6970m video card which is almost the same as a 6850 desktop w/ a slight downclock. A GTX560ti (448 core) or 6950/70 would be a safe bet for either game and allow you to keep the cost manageable. There are even cheaper options out there if you want to do some research on graphics card comparisons.

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Intel i5 2400
asrock z68 pro3 gen3
corsair vengence 2x4gb 1600mhz ddr3 ram.
Sapphire radeon hd 7850
seasonic 520w 80+ bronze
crucial m4 128 gb ssd
wd carvier blue 500gb hdd
asus 24x dvd writer
corsair 500r white or cm storm sniper

i choose hd 7850 as it is powerful and will give more bang for buck.

machine67891234

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Thanks for the recommendations - Yeah you're right about the games not pushing the graphics envelope, I know that Blizzard tends to make its game accessible to a wide range of computers (larger market). I have also heard though that with the new patch to SC2, and the extreme settings on certain maps with large battles it can tax the system somewhat.

I guess my concerns are making sure that the parts and components are compatible and that there are no serious bottlenecks. Is it possible to post a list of parts such as serial has done? I have also seen people create lists in newegg.com that have all the components selected - this is also very, very helpful! Thanks!

machine67891234

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Also couple of other questions:

Is it worthwhile to wait until Intel's Ivy Bridge line of processors come out?

Is there any advantage to using one type of newer Windows OS over another (e.g. Windows 7 home edition versus Windows 7 ultimate, etc.)?

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
windows 7 home basic is basically a 32 bit os with a <4 gb ram limit

windows 7 home premium is basically a 64 bit os with a 16 gb limit for the ram

windows 7 professional is basically home premium with 128 gb limit for ram and few other functions.

windows 7 ultimate is professional with some security features and language packs.

basically if you are gaming then a home premium will to you the most part.

if you are on a tight budget then a home basic will do bud the recommendation is still home premium.

but if one is doing heavy rendering or large hd video editing then home professional is needed.

but the ultimate only comes to work if one want language packs.

other than that intel ive bridge is worth waiting because

1. it is newer , and better technology

2 . it is more energy efficient . thanks to the 22 nm die size.

3. it uses tri-gate technology which helps to make faster calculations.

4. it is faster than sandy bridge i.e. 5-30 % faster than sandy bridge.

5. it has intel hd 4000 graphics which can be compared to a 80-100$ dedicated graphic card.

6. the rise of z77 chipset and nf 300 chip.

7. pci 3.0 , usb 3.0 and sata3 6.0 gbps gets intregated to the system.

8. the manufacturing cost decreases as less silicon is used to make a processor.

any more questions.

i think my friend might be of your help

www.google.com