Question Optimize this budget build

sli4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
I'm trying to build a PC to replace a 14 year old computer for a family member.

The PC will be used as a media server with remote connections and as an every day driver - email, web browsing and making dvd/cds. light photo/video/audio editing, watching movies/streaming - using protools, photoshop, mkvtools, clonecd, nero burning rom, vlc, teamviewer/remotedesktop, MS Office, adobe suite.

I'd also like to future proof for adding a proper graphics card for gaming down the road. (games like: dishonored, Witcher 3, Assassins Creed, Fallen Order, HMM3, Warcraft 2.)
Hoping to keep it in the $400 range. $500 if it's a significant difference that will future proof more.
Requirements:
  • at least 4x USB 3 (A) ports for external drives (prefer to have some gen 2 if possible)
  • at least 1 USB C port
  • 4x SATA for internal hard drives,
  • a case that can mount 2x 5.25" CD drives - so 2 additional SATA...or I could find IDE... plus a case that can handle this.
  • Intel (i5) with onboard UHD graphics rather than AMD - mostly for it's hardware transcoding abilities with Plex
  • Preference to 2.5Gb for internet
Id like for it to be as small as possible - but I know the 2 CD drives, 4 internal 3.5 drives and interest in adding a proper graphics card will limit that.
Their old computer has a 500w power supply and a kind of beat up mid atx case I could use if needed....but it's old so I don't know if compatibility with that has changed.

This is the build I started - with amazon deals I've gotten it down to about 600 with tax.
PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($231.74 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AG400 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($139.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Silicon Power XPOWER Turbine 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($62.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 670p 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ B&H)
Case: Cooler Master N400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $608.66

Any thoughts, suggestions or different build options that meet the criteria would be greatly appreciated!

sli4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Do you happen to live near a microcenter? Without a doubt, you are going to want a new, high quality psu.

Not really. Would I be able to find most of these parts cheaper there?

The older 500watt wouldn't suffice for a current build?

Any advice on a smaller case that would fit the drive needs?

logainofhades

Titan
I would not reuse an old PSU, of questionable quality. It dies, and it will take the shiny new hardware with it. Microcenter has some great bundle deals, but they are in store only. With the lower budget, I would say stick with AM4. Ryzen 5000 is plenty fast enough to handle any $400-$500 gpu. Doing so allows for a new PSU, without a lot more cost, than what your list is.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($188.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($21.40 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Silicon Power A60 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 40 3FS MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($58.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $608.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-20 13:44 EST-0500

sli4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
I would not reuse an old PSU, of questionable quality. It dies, and it will take the shiny new hardware with it. Microcenter has some great bundle deals, but they are in store only. With the lower budget, I would say stick with AM4. Ryzen 5000 is plenty fast enough to handle any $400-$500 gpu. Doing so allows for a new PSU, without a lot more cost, than what your list is.

I'm trying to stay away from AMD - one of the main uses for the computer is running a Plex server so I need intel's onboard uhd graphics for HW transcoding. While Ryzen's built in vega graphics seem to be pretty solid, they aren't as useful for this purpose.

sli4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
I don't think that case works either- as part of the specifications the case needs to be able to hold 2x 5.25" CD/DVD drives and 3 or 4 internal 3.5" drives.
These drives I would be reusing from the old system so they don't add to the cost.

sli4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Yeah, tell me about it! The family member I'm trying to build this for is stuck using dual CD drives so it's a necessity. I've been having a hard time finding a decent case that supports those needs without spending way more.

Oof.. yeah that microcenter bundle would save me at least $50 from the amazon prices I found

sli4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Yea, I would probably recommend going with an external drive, if they need it that badly. I still have an old laptop that has an optical drive, so I use it, for the rare occasions I need said drive. Otherwise, I would get an external. Amazon has a bunch of them, for less than $25.

Sadly I think they'd rather have the larger case than have more external components - and they save about $50 if they can reuse the drives they already have. Personally, I'd rather a spiffy new case with the external drives. If they need it that badly They can probably make due with their current mid tower case.

sli4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Thanks! yeah this case is in the running. I know someone near a microcenter so I'm trying to get one of those bundles - it'll save quite a bit.
Unfortunately they're out of stock and no clue when they'll be getting them back.