Question Optimizing a Home Mesh Network ?

Sep 9, 2024
I have AT&T Fiber internet 500Mbps speed with the Arris BGW210-700 with a google mesh network with Google NLS-1304-25 with 4 units. I am trying to cover my property that includes a 2800 sqft house and a detached garage with apartment that is 120 ft behind my house. 3 units are in the house and 1 in the back garage. There are dead spots in the house and unstable and slow internet in the garage. I am looking for recommendations on how to fix connection issues or completely change my system. There is a cat 5 wire from the house to the garage if that is useful. All recommendations are appreciated.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Wired is always better than wifi.

For the garage, 120ft is just too far. Use wired ethernet.

For wifi, there is only one way --> try and error. Avoid turning corners and obstacles.

Wifi is almost to design on paper. The problem is more your house than the wifi. Can be the materials the walls are made out of or even the paint if it contain metal particles. Thin energy coating on windows do a great job of blocking wifi. If you think about your microwave which runs on 2.4g can put out 1000 times the power of any wifi device but the amount that is allowed to leak out by law is a tiny fraction of what a router puts out. You can though see though the glass door even though wifi signals can not pass through.

Wifi is all trial and error.

In any case as stated above try to use some form of wires to extend the wifi signal do not use repeaters or mesh systems unless you have no other options. It should be Ethernet, Moca( if you have coax cables), powerline network.......and then very very last any kind of wifi repeater.

Oasis Curator

Honorable
Apr 9, 2019
Try and wire the repeaters.

This means they have the full (more or less) speed of your internet and can output that to the area the repeater is in.

That's what I have and it works great.

You can't really plug your phone into an ethernet switch afterall.