Question Optimizing a long distance wireless link

mitchd123

Honorable
Apr 30, 2014
I have a long wireless connection, just under a half mile, using an outdoor Engenious access point, and an Engenious high power USB card & outdoor antenna. It's line of sight, but some trees have started to grow into the line of sight. When I run a ping, the reply time varies immensely from 3ms to nearly 3,000ms with missed replys about 10% of the time. Signal strength is good and connection speed averages around 44k. Running auto detect B,G,N with HT40, with RTS/CTS set to 500. I'm using channel 10 which no other AP's are using in the area.

Are there any additional suggestions to optimize and improve the performance of the link, so reply times are more consistent. I'm guessing a lot of packets are retry/resends, but the wireless software shows no errors when I look at transmit and receive counters on the actual link. Signal Strength is >90%, and link quality is around 70%. I went to download a 10meg file, and as it was downloading, estimated time fluctuated from a few minutes to 25 hours remaining, due to the changing conditions.