Optimizing cooling question.

Ttesar06

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
So I’ve got an i5 2500k and a hyper 212 evo (I’ve attached pictures) the cooler is mounted facing the rear of the case with an exhaust fan pulling the air out. My question is is my setup ideal? Or is there a way to push the air thru the cooler rather than pull I tried but my ram gets in the way. Is it hurting anything having 2 fans so close to each other? Computer temps seem fine currently idle at about 40-42 full load at about 60. And also I’m ordering a slim 120mm case fan to instal on the side blowing over the cpu is that going to hurt anything air flow wise? If I blows down over the radiator?

https://imgur.com/a/Pn0xtM5

Solution
Assuming you physically removed the fan from the black plastic brackets that clip to the heatsink, turned it around then refitted the brackets to the heatsink you're all good.

Youre maybe running 2-3c hotter than in a push configuration with the fan at the front..

If you simply turned the whole heatsink around with the fan fitted or just pulled the black clips from the heatsink & fitted the whole lot to the rear of the heatsink without physically removing the fan the your case fan & the evo fan will actually be fighting each other.

Lutfij

Titan
The fan that's attached to the cooler, is it blowing air away from the cooler or is it pushing air towards the front of the case? If it's the latter, then your two fans are fighting each other for air. You can orient the fans to be slightly higher than the ram's apex but with all due respect, it exactly the reason you have clearance data and manufacturer drawings included to inform the potential buyer of what the drawbacks are.

Ttesar06

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

the cooler is pushing the air to the back of the case and the back fan is exhausting it. i just want to know if thats sufficient or if it can have any future issues with them being so close. Ive just read its better to "Push" air thru the cooler rather than pull but ive got no idea, this is my first go at a gaming pc.

i was going to look into one of those low profile (15mm) fans and see if that would allow enough clearance but im not sure its worth it? im not overclocking much just to 4.2ghz and my temps rarely go above 60. and my ram isnt OC at all. running at 1600mhz.

Assuming you physically removed the fan from the black plastic brackets that clip to the heatsink, turned it around then refitted the brackets to the heatsink you're all good.

Youre maybe running 2-3c hotter than in a push configuration with the fan at the front..

If you simply turned the whole heatsink around with the fan fitted or just pulled the black clips from the heatsink & fitted the whole lot to the rear of the heatsink without physically removing the fan the your case fan & the evo fan will actually be fighting each other.

Solution

Ttesar06

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
thats exactly what i did. i removed the fan and brackets made sure the air was pushing towards the back and re fit it all to the back side. the fans are BOTH pushing air in the same direction out the back of the case.

You're good then mate in all honesty, it wouldn't be considered optimum but as I said it's maybe 3c difference at most.

I had to ask because many people just take the whole fan mechanism, plastic clips &, all & refit it to the rear which causes big issues with airflow.

Really the only issue you have is that imo, in a windowed case it comes as across as aesthetically unpleasing with it on the rear.

If that doesn't bother you I'd leave it as is.

Ttesar06

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

No window on my case so were all good there haha. thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS