[SOLVED] Optimum airflow fulltower/ midi case for under 150 pounds

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Like the title suggests im looking for the best air cooling for price, i'm guessing this will come from a full tower but will be interested to hear your thoughts.

I'm currently looking at this one: Corsair CC-9011078-WW Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition Full tower.

Also this one I just found: http://www.phanteks.com/Eclipse-P600s.html

Last edited:
Solution
What will you put inside that you need to cool?

What is your tolerance for noise?

Normally, a case with at least two front 120/140mm intakes will cool a strong cpu and graphics card.
You can always increase the rpm of any intake fans up to leaf blower speeds(at the cost of noise)

I use a silverstone TJ-08E case with a 8600K@5.0 and a GTX1080ti.
It is virtually silent, a cpu-Z stress test maxes out at 65c.
Now, this case has only a single 180mm front intake that I run at half speed.
One could replace it with a noctua intake fan at up to 3000 rpm.

fredfinks

Honorable
You dont need a full tower to get good airflow. In fact it can be a hindrance / require more fans.

If you dont need a full tower to fit your gear than i suggest a good midtower. Fractal meshify is great for airflow.
Refer to Gamers Nexus for some reviews & charts (top quality, no nonsense hardware channel).

Note that good airflow can still be had with silence. Itll cost more and be harder to achieve.
I go with high positive pressure, filtered air in front and air out back. Neutral is also a-ok.

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
You dont need a full tower to get good airflow. In fact it can be a hindrance / require more fans.

If you dont need a full tower to fit your gear than i suggest a good midtower. Fractal meshify is great for airflow.
Refer to Gamers Nexus for some reviews & charts (top quality, no nonsense hardware channel).

Note that good airflow can still be had with silence. Itll cost more and be harder to achieve.
I go with high positive pressure, filtered air in front and air out back. Neutral is also a-ok.

Hes got a lot of good reviews on cases but only from 2019. But the P600s is the big brother of the P400a which he highly recommended so this case must be good.

What will you put inside that you need to cool?

What is your tolerance for noise?

Normally, a case with at least two front 120/140mm intakes will cool a strong cpu and graphics card.
You can always increase the rpm of any intake fans up to leaf blower speeds(at the cost of noise)

I use a silverstone TJ-08E case with a 8600K@5.0 and a GTX1080ti.
It is virtually silent, a cpu-Z stress test maxes out at 65c.
Now, this case has only a single 180mm front intake that I run at half speed.
One could replace it with a noctua intake fan at up to 3000 rpm.

Reactions: kingbowcat
Solution

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Well the tolerance for noise is pretty good as I run a dehumidifier behind my pc that hums away constantly. I'm cooling an overclocked rx5700xt partner card. This is the only problem im having as I got a decent after market cooler for my CPU. I went for this case: PHANTEKS Eclipse P600S Silent Case my current one the Kolink horizon midi has awful front cooling a huge glass screen covers it with tiny vents near the bottom. This P600S has great front mesh cooling which was what I was after. I'm hoping this will help tame my GPU. You think it was a good choice?

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Yeah I thought so. I got like 6 120 fans from old pc I want to put the rgb ones on the top should they all be exhust or one positive near the front near the two intake 140's? as I don't want to create a negative pressure.

Last edited:
Opinions vary.
My thought is that two 140mm intakes provide all the air you need.
Whatever comes in the front will exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.
I would add only a single 120mm rear exhaust to direct the airflow through your parts.

If you add more fans, you will simply add noise.
Moreover, such fans will draw in unfiltered air from adjacent openings, diminishing the positive pressure cleaning effect.

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Yeah good point, i've seen a lot of youtube vids on fans and theres definitely a point where the gains in airflow stops. I think what I will do is benchmark it with heaven with fans as is for like 30 mins and they add one more 120 exhaust and see if it helps and then add a 120 intake at front as there is room for another 120 there.

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Just installed the new case very happy, I reduced the GPU fan speed from 55 to 44% from last case and the average gpu temp is reading 66 degrees max from 85 degress. Also hotspot which was what i was having issues with hit up to 110 at 55% fanspeed of gpu in old case. This one at 44% GPU fan speed is hitting 94 degrees hotspot max. This is with default fans only. The PC is also a lot quieter.

TRENDING THREADS