[SOLVED] Optimum GPU without bottlenecking

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
In short I have been considering upgrading my graphics card for a while now. Bit of a stop gap really as I want to prolong nthis computers life and buy a new on in 18 months time.

Currently have a ryzen 1700 and a gtx 1060 6gb which runs games fine but sadly at the nice resolutions (2k-4k) it struggles.

Will probably stick with nvidia and have had a few thoughts. Firstly a 1070 is barely worth considering for a minimal frame per second increase. A 1080 8 gb seems tempting but theres divided opinion on its ability to handle 4k. Im after a smooth experience, not going to upgrade to something which I am still not happy with! I am assuming the ryzen and 1080 would be fine but not sure what the performance would be?

Then the next option is a 1080ti 11gb which by all accounts will run 4k at ease but the price tag is still very hefty. Keep waiting for it to drop but it wont. In any case would the ryzen be powerful enough for the GPU to fulfil its potential? If not then the option is out as I have no desire to upgrade both CPU and GPU.

I have a nice 4k monitor and one game I recently got *(cricket 2019) actually runs in 4k at artounf 40-45fps and looks awesome. Sadly not many new games can be played on top settings with my current setup which is about 18 months old now. Still runs games fine but dont we always want a better gaming experience.

Really Im wondering if the 1080 would be a good choice or whether the extra on a 1080ti might be worth it. Quite a lot of money and dont want my Ryzen to be burning up trying to keep up the pace! From research online it seems the two variations of the 1080 are massively different in terms of price and performance

Not sure what to do really. I guess having a machine that can run everything in decent detail is not a terrible position to be in!

Any input welcome

Solution
For 4K I'd get the 2070 Super as a minimum. It performs slightly better for the 1080 ti and should be cheaper. Also as long as it's paired with either a B350, B450, X370 or X470 motherboard I'd consider doing a bit of overclocking on that 1700.

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
Typically I just saw the bottlenecking guide after posting and it apparently the ryzen 1700 and 1080 ti combo will only bottleneck in "Worst case scenarios". Which leaves me thinking what is a worst case scenario!

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
Don't look at the guides/calculators, they don't account for the game nor resolution which makes a big difference.

I really just used them as a guideline because as you mentioned there are other variables. I think when the spreadsheet says "worst case scenario" it would be referring to a resource heavy game on ultra resolution. I keep looking on ebay to see if I can get a 1080 for a bargain price but its not easy. Could probably flog the 1060 for a few quid but not a lot. Was a little hasty buying a 4k monitor without realising that for a decent 4k experience your machine needs to be packing serious power. I wonder when GTA Vi comes out if my PC will be absolutely useless!