[SOLVED] Optimum "set and forget" settings on MSI x470 with Ryzen 5

DFace1_2

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
Hello, me again. Seem to have a new question for every component!

I've now got

MSI x470 Gaming Plus Max
Pure Rock Slim
Ryzen 5 3600
Corsair CX750M, the green one, yes I've read all the horror stories but it's been OK so far!
Crucial P1 M.2
Corsair LPX 8gb x 2

I've got really interested in all of this tweaking stuff since my second ever build (this most recent one) but I don't have any urge to overclock to the max. Here are a couple of questions I'm hoping people can answer.

1) Noticed upon swapping my A320 to this X470 mobo on first few boots, Ryzen Master showed idle temperatures on the CPU at around 60C. This was 10-15 degrees higher than previously. It's now settled to about 45 degrees when idle after a few days without having changed any BIOS settings. Would this be to do with thermal paste "setting in"?

2) I've got no complaints with any area of the system. All is working A-OK and was from first boot. What I'd quite like to do is optimise performance and temperature by tweaking a few of the automatic settings in the mobo BIOS (or Ryzen Master if people suggest this). As I said - no complaints - just want to cool the CPU as much as possible and keep as much performance as possible. But I have no desire or need to get <Mod Edit> speeds. Experimenting with CPU core voltage offset, I've found for my particular CPU I can take it down -0.0875V in the BIOS before any notable performance drop and this seems to...maybe...drop the temp by about 5 degrees. Can anybody recommend further simple tweaks, Cool N Quiet etc?

I kind of know what I'm doing but feel free to treat me like a novice! Interested in all suggestions.

Ta.

P.S. Apologies if "set and forget" offended anyone ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

I've now got

MSI x470 Gaming Plus Max
Pure Rock Slim
Ryzen 5 3600
Corsair CX750M, the green one, yes I've read all the horror stories but it's been OK so far!
Crucial P1 M.2
Corsair LPX 8gb x 2

I've got really interested in all of this tweaking stuff since my second ever build (this most recent one) but I don't have any urge to overclock to the max. Here are a couple of questions I'm hoping people can answer.

1) Noticed upon swapping my A320 to this X470 mobo on first few boots, Ryzen Master showed idle temperatures on the CPU at around 60C. This was 10-15 degrees higher than previously. It's now settled to about 45 degrees when idle after a few days without...
Hi there, as a Ryzen user..... what are your temps under load? Your temps are influenced by your case airflow, ambient temp, quality of fans, GPU adding hot air to the case, correct cooler installation etc.

Ryzen really is at it's best by just leaving it to it's own devices and while people see the spikes in voltage and temp they are VERY short lived and will not degrade or damage your CPU in any way. Ryzen works very differently to Intel CPU's the way and how they boost.

The easiest way to get a more "stable" temp is to do an all core setting of say 4.0 or 4,1 if your silicon cantake it. ok you lose a little single core boost but the all core makes up for it and you can see that for example in a CinebenchR20 run. I have my 2700x with a 4.25GHZ all core and the voltage is 1.41 and idle is 26c-36c and never over 60c while gaming or other workload.

This is with a decent 360mm AIO though and it is autumn here in Germany too. There is also a discussion thread which you may find interesting/helpful. But just to say again those idle temps of around 45 are not uncommon and will not shorten the life of your PC.

Cheers

DFace1_2

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
Thanks for your reply!

Would the initial drop from 60 to 45 idle after a couple of hours of first use be down to thermal paste? Or something else?

With the -0.0875v offset, I'm getting about 77° peak temp when doing batch video conversion. Without the undervolt it was more like 82/83.

I'm in the UK so cold most of the time! There's a 120mm intake fan and 1x 140mm exhaust at the top of the case and a Bequiet pure rock slim on the cpu. It's quite an old case, coolermaster sileo 500.

I'm pretty happy with it all really but just wanted to do some basic novice tweaks of easily set things in the BIOS to shave off a few degrees under load. Thank you for the all core suggestion, does that mean they constantly run at that speed?

No they drop to 2.2ghz in idle by my 2700x but the spikes are less pronounced and therefore the temps fluctuate less allowing the CPU to really cool down.

The problem here with your aircooling on a modern Ryzen is always going to be that case, only 1 120mm intake fan is in my opinion a bare minimum to get enough cool air into the case, as a not to expensive alternative in ATX form something like a
Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh
would make way more of a difference to your temps than any settings in Bios can. I feel your cooling is just a bit starved of fresh air to be honest with you, considering this your temps are well within acceptable range.

Here is a review of the case and is also available with no RGB bling....
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iPggUimB4k

I've now got

MSI x470 Gaming Plus Max
Pure Rock Slim
Ryzen 5 3600
Crucial P1 M.2
Corsair LPX 8gb x 2

1) Noticed upon swapping my A320 to this X470 mobo on first few boots, Ryzen Master showed idle temperatures on the CPU at around 60C. This was 10-15 degrees higher than previously. It's now settled to about 45 degrees when idle after a few days without having changed any BIOS settings. Would this be to do with thermal paste "setting in"?

2) I've got no complaints with any area of the system. All is working A-OK and was from first boot. What I'd quite like to do is optimise performance and temperature by tweaking a few of the automatic settings in the mobo BIOS (or Ryzen Master if people suggest this). As I said - no complaints - just want to cool the CPU as much as possible and keep as much performance as possible. But I have no desire or need to get <Mod Edit> speeds. Experimenting with CPU core voltage offset, I've found for my particular CPU I can take it down -0.0875V in the BIOS before any notable performance drop and this seems to...maybe...drop the temp by about 5 degrees. Can anybody recommend further simple tweaks, Cool N Quiet etc?

I kind of know what I'm doing but feel free to treat me like a novice! Interested in all suggestions.

Ta.

P.S. Apologies if "set and forget" offended anyone ;)
'best set and forget' for Ryzen....

ASSUMING your BIOS is up-to-date...

1st thing is to install AMD's chipset drivers. Which includes the Ryzen Balanced power plan; use it, don't change it.

2nd is enable the following in BIOS: cool n quiet, advanced c-states, processor CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores.

Be sure CPU clock is in AUTO and CPU Vcore is in AUTO.

That's it. Best set and forget.

Now, if you want to push things a little bit. In BIOS enable PBO, put it in MANUAL mode. Set PPT to 300, TDC to 230 and EDC to 230. Then get a bit risky: put PBO Scalar on 5x; 10x if you're really daring. You can also experiment a bit with undervolting: do it ONLY with offset adjustment! Make very slight changes, a little bit at a time, testing with something like CB20 to see if you're impacting performance or it goes unstable.

Solution