Question Optional driver update installs over and over as a newer driver is already installed. How do I stop this?

Dec 10, 2020
I tried an Optional Win 10 update. Big mistake. It installed successfully in early October. Now, In December, I see it has tried to install it 14 times more. Each a success, but the pc indicates there is a problem (there is a " newer driver already installed"), and then shows a problem in update in Settings-Windows Update. Where do I go to eliminate this update, as it reports there is a newer update already in use?

Update is for a USB 44.0.3748.1716 for an HP printer. We are still getting windows updates and are on the current Version 20H2.19042.685

Dec 10, 2020
Thank you, but I have tried this. The issue in not for a Cummulative or Feature update. It is a simple driver update for teh USB device. It tries but fails due to a newer driver already having been installed. I simple want to eliminate the driver....it is not needed on my system.

Dec 10, 2020
To stop this repeating update error, I downloaded a tool from Microsoft called "wushowhide.digicab" found at
How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10 (microsoft.com)
This works because the troublesome driver was superceded by the driver currently installed. This just stopped the nagging from Windows Update.

As shown on the Microsoft site:
To prevent the driver from being reinstalled by Windows Update, use the “Show or Hide Updates” troubleshooter to hide the driver. Window Update won’t install hidden drivers or updates.

Download the troubleshooter from the Microsoft Download Center:

When you click the download link, you're prompted to open or save wushowhide.diagcab.

To run the troubleshooter, open wushowhide.diagcab, select Next, and then follow the instructions in the troubleshooter to hide the problematic driver or update.