optional updates in windows 10 upgrade

mikey1871

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
how the * does someone force friggin windows 10, the upgraded version to actually friggin install any other level of upgrades besides critical?

I'm seriously pissed off that the * OS WONT install all all of the various kinds of upgrades that are offered to me.
There are no changes that can be done for the version of windows upgrade from say win7 to win10 to where one can choose to have the bastard * OS actually upgrade all available upgrades.

I get notices from my Eset AV that i still have more updates to install, but * windows shit NEVER lists that it's installed them and i trust Eset emphatically much more than i'll ever trust a Windows product EVER.

And i don't NEED to hear that i should have done a Clean install.. cause that's *. According to the stupid pages from microsoft the damn OS is supposed to know how to install ALL updates!

<Language, please. Thanks.>

Solution
No, I meant 3rd party security software, when I said "3rd party security software." While this includes Eset, it also includes any other security software that isn't part of Windows. I would have specified Eset if that's all I meant.

Vista and 2000 may have been slow, but they were first...

mikey1871

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
yes the language is rotten, but then it's damn sure EXPECTED or it certainly SHOULD be expected that this incident should NEVER EVER happen in the first place!! And NO one give me the excuse " well, it's how things are done now-a-days" Because that excuse is how the US has gotten into the crap hole that it is now, with irrational nuts running for office.

A computer OS user shouldn't have to manually search for updates and then have to download them and install them just because the asinine stupid bull crap from microsoft ISN'T designed to allow the customer to actually install all upgrades!

USAFRet

Titan

My 3 current Win 10 systems seem to do their updates no problem.As do the other 2 Win 8.1 systems.

What is your stuff not doing, and why?

mikey1871

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Hello, and thanks for having the guts to reply. Ret. navy here. maybe that's why i speak my mind, but i doubt it.

Anyways, the only work around that i've found is to see what Eset says are available updates for my win10 OS and then i have to manually go to the web pages to download the updates.
it also would be helpful if the damn win10 help pages actually LOOKED like my damn version that i get to see and NOT the damn win 10 pro version. I have yet to see a "Help page or Tutorial page" from windows 10 that is set for the damn version of windows 10 that friggin microsoft's stupid servers decided to install on my old win7 system.

And YES this is mostly what pisses me off. :)

It's not like putting up the correct pics of what persons with win 10 home version will see is gonna hog the internet!

Since it's Eset's Windows Update notification that has actually given you the cause for upset, I would turn the feature off. You may trust it, but that doesn't mean their client has actually scanned your system for the relevant requisites of each issued update and determined they actually apply in your individual case, while Windows Update certainly has. Just because you can download and install an update manually, doesn't mean it actually pertains to your situation. Being on a non-enterprise version of Windows 10, you really don't get a choice about putting off the downloading and installing of Windows Updates, and this includes drivers, so your system will end up with all relevant updates, even if they are detrimental, as some have been. If on the other hand as Eset is claiming on their website that 3rd party firewall software could be blocking Windows Updates, I would say you're probably your own worst enemy by using 3rd party security software that is interfering with your Windows Update.

mikey1871

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Hi, sorry for not getting back to you thoughtful people sooner, but for some reason the Chrome extension for Tom's hardware didn't inform me that i had any answers to this inquiry.

DO you mean Eset when you're speaking about "3rd party security software"? If you did, maybe you should just call it what it's actual name so as to not confuse someone. Thanks.

As to why i DO trust eset over Microsoft.... geez let me count the ways that is true.... umm window's vista, windows 2000, windows 8 and the ever awesome, satire there, Internet Explorer... Yes There are many reasons why i wouldn't trust microsoft things today.

But I shall take your words into consideration from now on. I STILL DO not like at all that a damn Corporation thinks they must tell me what i NEED to update and only them. Sorry if corporations were actually in business for the public good instead of their bottom line and greed, then i would think that microsoft would be doing things in my favor.

What i did decide to do is whenever Eset would inform me of "Recommended or Optional updates" I would go to those particular sites and see if there were in fact updates for things that are installed on my computer; such as drivers for non microsoft things. If i found any then i would manually update those things.

But if someone would be able to explain to me why microsoft has gone the way of not doing anything with recommended or optional updates for persons with my windows 10 version. I certainly would like to have that knowledge :)

Thank you all for the replies though :)

mikey1871

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

I think the Provenance, as you say, is that i'm irritated that i can't either access any "Recommended or optional level" updates anymore.

There is always more than one way to do something and i'm not big on trusting Microsoft to do the correct thing. Their track record of satisfactory OS systems, Browsers and other things is abysmal. It's like they never understood the concept of Quality Assurance most definitely should be over the stupid marketing department forcing a company to put out an inferior product just because of a certain time of year. But that's just my opinion :)

But i still remember how to "Adapt and Overcome" so it's all good.

USAFRet

Titan

Drivers installed by Eset come from....guess where?
Microsoft, or whichever device manufacturer.

Eset is merely an intermediary, that wishes to tell you which of those things you need, and do it automagically for you.

With Windows 10, why did MS make OS updates non optional? Because, over the years, MS has been blasted for the HUGE number of vulnerable machines. Which were unpatched by the user.

So either they leave the user in control of doing updates. Which they don't do. MS gets blasted for that
Or, the simply do the updates for you. MS gets blasted for that.

Either way, MS gets blasted.

mikey1871

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
MERGED QUESTION
Question from mikey1871 : "today 4-12-2016 win malicious update stuck"

yes, so today me eset, which i DO trust, informed me of new updates for my win10 OS. Win 10 did comfirm the updates were available after i had to manually tell the SO to Check for updates. Even though it hardwired to check all the time... So much for wanting to trust microsoft to actually do it's things logically haha

anyways, Windows mallicious software tremoval tool for win10 x64 edition april 2016 (KB890830) has been friggin STUCK stating that it's installing, but it's not doing a damn thing nor is it using any cpu at all.

So any ideas as to how to remedy this problem?

Only reason that i'm asking actually is there is also a cumulative update for win10 and a security update for adobe that WONT install til the stupid Malicious crap is done.

See, This is the reason why customers should still retain their Control over updating anything from microsoft. If i still had control i could go back and un-select this darn Malicious crap and just install the Cumulative update and the security update.

Another reason why removing control by the consumer is a stupid idea :)

mikey1871

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

No, I meant 3rd party security software, when I said "3rd party security software." While this includes Eset, it also includes any other security software that isn't part of Windows. I would have specified Eset if that's all I meant.

Vista and 2000 may have been slow, but they were first iterations of rather good systems. Variations of both core systems are still in use today which speaks volumes to the longevity of the work that was done in both.

Not quite sure why you can trust memory and file management to Microsoft, a far more complicated task, but when it comes to what updates you do or don't need, you only trust software from a former Eastern Bloc country.

This situation reminds me of the silly programs people used to use to free up memory in Windows. Folks were upset that Windows was being wasteful and not doing this for them, and while the concept of freeing up RAM for other programs sounds nice on the surface, the tools actually decreased the overall stability and performance of the system rather than improving it.

As for Windows updates not showing in the Windows update client, that's most likely because they do not pertain to your particular installation of Windows. It's quite possible Eset is listing older updates, or just every update that has been made available, whether it's applicable in your situation or not.

When it comes to drivers, Windows Update has never been the best place to go. While it's certainly improved through the years, the best method in my opinion, is to go to the source for each driver.

Solution

mikey1871

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

ok, yes i didn't "read" what you wrote as inclusive of all AV software; my bad. :)

Yes i certainly do have a higher "Bar" so-to-speak when it comes to the next version of an OS; period.

Windows 2000 was crap compared to win98. That's my opinion. won't change. Yes, i do expect next generation OS's to do better than the last good one. Microsoft doesn't have the best track record in doing that. I'd say they are around 50/50.

AS to your crack about ESET coming from what used to be Eastern Europe... Yes they did as i'm certain your ancestors did in fact come from somewhere else than the North American continent. You do seem to be one of those "Exceptional Americans" which i call B S on.

So i'd like for you to refrain forever from replying to any question that i ask on this site.

I do not wish to be advised at all by anyone so arrogant as to disparage a company or persons who have come from another country in the world.

Oh and by-the-way.... the peoples of what today is the Russian Federation have over the centuries given the world exceptional gifts in culture. Humanity is like a darn 6 yr old still... making a mess of everything it gets to touch.

Thank you for your reply though. bye sir :)

trallala

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017

I know this is an old thread but since people only posted without having anything to say (yay, internet):

+ ESET knows of Windows updates before Windows does. (#sad, I guess)
+ ESET also knows of driver updates (and Silverlight...) before Windows does.

The main difference between these two is: The latter (optional) won't be installed automatically, like, ever.

A "solution" would be, as suggested, to download the drivers manually. That's a pain.

There is a slightly better way to do this, though. Since ESET is telling you, for which driver updates are available, you can find the respective device in device manager (win + pause -> device manager, enabling "show hidden"*) highly encouraged), right click on it and select "update driver"*).

This is how I deal with this driver update ignoring stuff.

Have a nice day.

PS: I'm amazed - again and as always - how people think their opinion of this and that (while ignoring the question, of course) is an answer worth posting.

*) I have to guess a little what the entries are called, this system here is not in english.