Question Options for connecting to a hotspot (Franklin T10) menu remotely.

tacomaguy20

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
I currently have a Franklin T10 mobile hotspot set up with Tmobile. I have this in a remote location for monitoring security cameras. I got it set up and working well but sometimes Tmobile wants to send me a 2 factor authentication to the device. This hotspot doesn't allow me to log in remotely which means I have to drive out to the location, connect my phone to the hotspot network, and then access the menu to see the messages in order to access the text that they sent. I was hoping that there were some other options on how to access this menu remotely. One idea I had was to hook up a raspberry pi and connect it to the hotspot through wifi, use teamviewer to access it from my home computer, and then I could log into the hotspot menu. I'm not familiar enough with hotspots or raspberry pi devices to know if this is possible however. Would this work? Are there any other options that I haven't considered? I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money on this ideally.

kanewolf

Titan
I currently have a Franklin T10 mobile hotspot set up with Tmobile. I have this in a remote location for monitoring security cameras. I got it set up and working well but sometimes Tmobile wants to send me a 2 factor authentication to the device. This hotspot doesn't allow me to log in remotely which means I have to drive out to the location, connect my phone to the hotspot network, and then access the menu to see the messages in order to access the text that they sent. I was hoping that there were some other options on how to access this menu remotely. One idea I had was to hook up a raspberry pi and connect it to the hotspot through wifi, use teamviewer to access it from my home computer, and then I could log into the hotspot menu. I'm not familiar enough with hotspots or raspberry pi devices to know if this is possible however. Would this work? Are there any other options that I haven't considered? I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money on this ideally.
Does the internet connectivity continue even though you haven't responded to the two factor authentication ?
If not, then there is no remote access possible.

tacomaguy20

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
To clarify, the two factor authentication isn't for the hotspot internet setup, it's for tmobile website account setup/tmobile tuesdays access so I always have internet access. It doesn't disconnect me.

Does the tmobile web site require you to access it from that internet connection.

In theory you plan should work. First can you even authenticate on the tmobile site using the raspberry. Most things work but you never know if they are using some browser feature that only works on windows.
I know you can run teamviewer on a raspberry but there was some restrictions that I don't remember. Hopefully it can use the option to auto connect to the teamviewer site, you may need a paid account to make this work.

As long as the web page is pretty simple it should work. Teamviewer can be extremely painful when the remote location does not have a good upload rate.

If all else fails and you have a public IP at your home location you should be able to use a raspberry pi to create a vpn connection between the remote location and your house. You could then with some skillful routing commands send data through the vpn to the remote location and on to tmobile via the remote internet connection.

Reactions: tacomaguy20

tacomaguy20

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Does the tmobile web site require you to access it from that internet connection.

*Edit, sorry I think I misunderstood what you were saying originally. You were trying to confirm that if I got the code, would I be able to access the website remotely or do I need to access it from the same device? I have confirmed that I can use the code on a different device.

So this is ultimately what I would want to do. Try to log into the tmobile website (from home) or the Tuesday's app (from my non-tmobile phone). When it sends me the confirmation number to my hotspot. Connect from my home computer to teamviewer on the raspberry pi (at the remote location), pull up the hotspot admin page, grab the confirmation number, then enter it on either the tmobile website or the Tuesdays app. It sounds like that would be possible from what you were saying but it may be tricky?

Last edited:
I see the number is only on the hotspot.

The tricky part is the raspberry pi and the team viewer support. I don't know for example if there is a particular OS you have to run, raspberry pi can run a couple different ones.

Even if you had a old laptop doing this I think you have to have the paid version of team viewer to have a always on remote connection.

Reactions: tacomaguy20

tacomaguy20

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
I see the number is only on the hotspot.

The tricky part is the raspberry pi and the team viewer support. I don't know for example if there is a particular OS you have to run, raspberry pi can run a couple different ones.

Even if you had a old laptop doing this I think you have to have the paid version of team viewer to have a always on remote connection.

Oh so the always on remote connection would be the trick here?

I guess your best option is to take the raspberry pi and load the software. You can then try to remotely access it while it is at your house.

I think the problem is unless you pay the monthly fee you have a similar issue as you do with your authentication. Teamviewer normally you must tell the id and password to the person who is connecting remotely. If you leave it idle too long it disconnects and you must regenerate one.

They have a host version that does exactly what you want but it is under the $7/month plan.

There might be some other remote access software that is better/cheaper not sure. Its been a while since I needed type thing and I used a point to point vpn, mostly because I didn't want teamviewer company seeing my data.

tacomaguy20

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
I guess your best option is to take the raspberry pi and load the software. You can then try to remotely access it while it is at your house.

I think the problem is unless you pay the monthly fee you have a similar issue as you do with your authentication. Teamviewer normally you must tell the id and password to the person who is connecting remotely. If you leave it idle too long it disconnects and you must regenerate one.

They have a host version that does exactly what you want but it is under the $7/month plan.

There might be some other remote access software that is better/cheaper not sure. Its been a while since I needed type thing and I used a point to point vpn, mostly because I didn't want teamviewer company seeing my data.

Gotcha, I think I'll get a cheap raspberry pi and try it out. It wouldn't hurt to get familiar with the raspberry pi since I've never really used one before. Thanks for your help.