michaeldp1982

Reputable
Jul 8, 2018
hello all, this is my first post so i'm sorry if i'm writing in the wrong place, i wasn't sure where to put it
i have a couple of questions about my build
i have the optiplex 3010 MT which i swtiched to a new case and also got a 600W psu semi moduler, it's with 8g of ram and have the i5-3470 if i'm not mistaken
i did update my bios to A22 it was i think
i want to switch my HDD with a SSD and change the cpu to i7-3770 and raise my ram from 8 to 16 and get a gpu ( was thinking of 1660 super )
now my questions are :
  1. changing cpu and harddrive which means compltly erasing the pc would i need to update my bios again or does it stay regardless of the HDD and the CPU? ( not sure where the update is saved at )
  2. i seen lot's of people doing the 1650 gpu, and i'm not sure if it's because of price or becaus eyou just can't put in a 1660 in it, so my question is am i able to put a 1660 in it or should i stick with a 1650 like most people or if you all have any other advice on a GPU that i should use?

my plan for the pc btw is to record gameplay, edit and upload to youtube btw, if it matters...

thank you all in advance

Pierce, M.

Solution
The GTX1660 is a good 1080p gaming card. Certainly applicable for the i5-3470 or i7-3770.

Be aware of how much you're spending on "sunk" costs in relation to how long you foresee this machine remaining viable for you as a gaming PC. Things like PSU/GPU/SSD can be carried over to a new system (whether or not they're still viable depends on the amount of time that passes before the transplant happens). CPU & DDR3 RAM are going to the grave with this machine since all modern platforms use DDR4 and the CPU is only compatible with that era of mobos.

I got my i7-3770 for $50 (probably could've gotten it for less but I needed it on short order)
e-waste recycling centers are good (local) sources of DDR3 RAM on the cheap.
1) the BIOS is saved in an onboard memory chip on the mobo itself. Not the HDD/SSD.

2) People go with the 1650 because it's the best performing GPU that gets all its power from the PCIe x16 slot (no extra cable(s) necessary). People [unlike you] who are keeping the stock PSU don't have the power connectors coming off the PSU that are necessary to power anything better. You don't have that limitation.

Reactions: michaeldp1982

michaeldp1982

Reputable
Jul 8, 2018
1) the BIOS is saved in an onboard memory chip on the mobo itself. Not the HDD/SSD.

2) People go with the 1650 because it's the best performing GPU that gets all its power from the PCIe x16 slot (no extra cable(s) necessary). People [unlike you] who are keeping the stock PSU don't have the power connectors coming off the PSU that are necessary to power anything better. You don't have that limitation.
i thought about that, but i didn't think the stock psu can really work anything other then the machine itself, that's why i switched, isn't it like 230w or something like that?
anyway, would 1660 be my best option then?
P.S.
thx for the fast reply :)

The GTX1660 is a good 1080p gaming card. Certainly applicable for the i5-3470 or i7-3770.

Be aware of how much you're spending on "sunk" costs in relation to how long you foresee this machine remaining viable for you as a gaming PC. Things like PSU/GPU/SSD can be carried over to a new system (whether or not they're still viable depends on the amount of time that passes before the transplant happens). CPU & DDR3 RAM are going to the grave with this machine since all modern platforms use DDR4 and the CPU is only compatible with that era of mobos.

I got my i7-3770 for $50 (probably could've gotten it for less but I needed it on short order)

Last edited:
Solution

michaeldp1982

Reputable
Jul 8, 2018

thank you for the replay, and yes i looked at the 3770 and find it on-line from like $90-$200 which is annoying which at that price i can buy a mobo and a decent ryzen so not sure what to do now lol
the build is for gaming and recording/editing for youtube which is why i wanted to get the 3770