Question Optiplex 3060 Micro Fan Error

Apr 26, 2023
Hello all, I Have a Dell Optiplex 3060 Micro. I have an i5-8500T, idle reaching 60c and light activities going to 80c+. My CPU fan isn't working as it should. its spinning but only increases fan speed slightly after it gets to around 70c but doesn't seem to adjust speeds when it should. There is no Fan setting at all in BIOS, Any program I try to use to check status of fan RPM, No program detects the fan. I have re-thermal pasted 3 times now, last one being with Grizzly. the entire case gets boiling hot. I have checked the cable for the fan and cleaned and has made no difference. When I first boot the PC, The moment I power on the fan spins up high for a split second then back down. BIOS is also updated to latest version. So I guess my main question is, Is there a way I can speed up my fans? even if it requires modifying my fan in a way to bypass the PWM poor controls to make it max speed? I am experienced enough regarding computers so I am happy to try anything suggested. I did wonder if my fan was faulty but it does spin full speed for half a second when i turn the PC on, so i dont think its a fan issue. Im unsure on why i cant get any program to detect the fan. I have also tried using my linux system to detect the fan but also no Avail. Apologies for the long essay style, Im just not really to sure where i go from here.

If someone whom has a 3060 Micro could help me out if this is normal behaviour for these would be also appreciated. I am aware the 3050 Micro has Fan Control in the bios, But doesn't with the 3060 which makes absolutely no sense. I have heard from one other person their 3060 is 28-30c idle and max of 59c under 100% load.

Thanks guys!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
This being the form factor that it is will cause it to run pretty hot under a load. The CPU fan is, as far as I can tell, the only one in the case as well as small to boot. I would compare its thermal properties more to a laptop than a desktop.

Just as a check, you could open Task Manager under the processes and performance tabs to see what is running. This way you could be sure something unknown to you isn't putting the system under load. Might consider looking into a new fan. I am not sure of a way to find one on a unit that new without just a broad search term and pick through or contacting Dell themselves.

Apr 26, 2023
Lol, I looked that up to come across these as results for the cooler in this rig:

There is really nothing TO do aside from letting it go. It will throttle when it gets too hot, which is something near 100C (t junction)
My main concern is the case is litterally like holding a hot drink in a mug. the temps for utilization isnt even above 50%. on idle around 0-5% is between 59-65c i dont even want to know what ill be if i ran a stress test. 80c+ using chrome and youtube. yet my trusty thinkpad t440p fan does a better job of cooling, and doesnt get hot even while video editing. Im just concerned that it shouldn't be this hot. i anticipate either a CPU issue itself or motherboard with struggling to somehow ramp up the speeds. yet it reads the temps.

Yes i was looking at changing the fan, i was going to see if i could retro-fit another from a laptop, that is slighly bigger fan but would fit with some modification. however i have been told dell fans mix their wiring purposly in the connector, so in the result of fan-swaps it would fry the fan.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Dell is famous for using proprietary connectors.

Machines like this are made for simple office work, kiosk type activity, etc. It isn't designed to be running benchmark type loads and certainly not for sustained periods of time. It could be fully dependable for years setting appointments and running Excel. If you use case is significantly beyond that it might be worthwhile to consider a more fitting hardware environment.

Is this something recently purchased and with a return window? Is there any possible budget for something with better cooling abilities in the first place?