Optiplex 380 Mulit Core Enabled = No

Estar

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
Why does my Dell Optiplex 380 BIOS report "Mulit Core Enabled = No" even though it has an E7500 processor? What does this mean?

Solution
That item is user-changeable (Yes/No)

Some applications are not compatible with multi-core, which is why that setting exists. However, on a Windows PC it's more usual to configure a multi-core processor (when required) by using the System Configuration Utility (msconfig) as it gives you more precise control rather than simply enabled or disabled.

I imagine the BIOS default is "enabled" (just a guess) so maybe a previous user has changed it?
That item is user-changeable (Yes/No)

Some applications are not compatible with multi-core, which is why that setting exists. However, on a Windows PC it's more usual to configure a multi-core processor (when required) by using the System Configuration Utility (msconfig) as it gives you more precise control rather than simply enabled or disabled.

I imagine the BIOS default is "enabled" (just a guess) so maybe a previous user has changed it?

Solution

Estar

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014

Thank you for your reply Phillip. In the BIOS there is a changeable field in the Performance tab to enable Multi Core Support and it is enabled. Disabling or enabling this item does not change the entry on the BIOS System Board tab which says "Mulit Core Enabled = No" ... I restored the default BIOS settings and this also changed nothing.