Optiplex 390 GPU Compatibility?

TikPandora

Honorable
Dec 18, 2016
Hello. As of recent I have acquired a Dell Optiplex 390. I know it is an aging system, but I thought that for the price I could make it into a relatively decent gaming PC. I paid $85 for it off of Facebook and have been hard at work researching parts that I think would make it into quite a decent rig for the games I usually like to play. My only issue is compatibility in terms of power and such.

For the GPU, I was wondering if this Gigabyte low-profile 750-Ti would work? (It's the low profile 2GB one, as I know with the system I need a card without the extra 6 pins from the PSU.)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MW8NXAW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also went with 8 GB of this RAM.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WAGGUK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The original PSU on the 390 is a standard 240W Dell branded one, which I originally wasn't going to upgrade, but decided to do so after reading quite a few horror stories involving aging and under-powered PSUs. As I have the slimline 390, I went for this PSU as it's the highest rated one available for the system. I know it's not the greatest and most reputable brand, but I figured it had to be better than the stock one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017YN37RS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only component I already have installed on the PC is a HyperX Fury SSD, it also has a Core i3 2100 CPU. I was going to order a Core i5 2400, but the extra watts kind of turned me off of it and I don't believe it would make too much of a difference.

My main question is if this all seems safe and feasible with the LP GTX card. I have already ordered all of the parts, but I made sure to do so from reputable Amazon sellers so I could return them if anything was unsafe or simply downright incompatible. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Solution
Well, the full height is of course for tower. for the slim you definitely need the half height.
As I mentioned earlier system with the GTX 1050Ti will be consuming less than 150watts (60% of PSU capacity).
http://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050--1050-ti-review?page=6
those guys measured it with i7-5790 octa core CPU - way more power hungry than i5. And they ended up with 148 watt total system power consumption including overclocked 1050Ti.
So 240watt PSU is enough. Of course it won't hurt to have more powerful PSU. but i'd prefer to get better GPU and CPU first.
If you intend to use this machine for gaming - i5 is definitely better option since some games require quad core CPU. And many will just run much better with i5...

TikPandora

Honorable
Dec 18, 2016

Are you positive about the full-height thing? I have the slim desktop 390, not the mini tower model, it's really narrow. Also, I was told that even with the low power consumption that putting the card in it would be pushing the generic PSU to it's maximum limit and possibly over. I definitely want to make sure that the components are properly powered. Is buying the 400W PSU overkill? Would the i5 2400 be safe to use with everything else and provide $55 worth of benefit?

Well, the full height is of course for tower. for the slim you definitely need the half height.
As I mentioned earlier system with the GTX 1050Ti will be consuming less than 150watts (60% of PSU capacity).
http://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050--1050-ti-review?page=6
those guys measured it with i7-5790 octa core CPU - way more power hungry than i5. And they ended up with 148 watt total system power consumption including overclocked 1050Ti.
So 240watt PSU is enough. Of course it won't hurt to have more powerful PSU. but i'd prefer to get better GPU and CPU first.
If you intend to use this machine for gaming - i5 is definitely better option since some games require quad core CPU. And many will just run much better with i5 than with i3 - so IMHO it is worth.
paired with GTX 1050Ti - you get very good 1080p gaming for the next couple of years. though if you can, get the higher clocked i5-2500.
if it fits your budget, go for this card (the only low profile 1050Ti for now) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137081
It comes with the low profile bracket.
Also totally worth the premium over 750ti.

Solution

TikPandora

Honorable
Dec 18, 2016
Alright, I do have one more question. I'm planning on going with the i5, the 750ti (am working on a strict budget), and the Crucial RAM. Would the 400W PSU I listed above still be a good idea to make absolutely sure everything is covered...and also because the PSU in it now is about 4 years old?

okay and this is a personal habit of mine, many will tell you pay a lot more for aPSu of high quality that permits to cover your bases (ie you need 200w get 300w) , I am the sort of person that calculates and prefers twice the Wattage than I need so in your case I would count 200w so I would get 400w PSU.

PSU of quality can last a long time, but yeah I would change it, IF you can find one to fit in it, Dell cases can be cumbersome to work in and the wires for each model are different... maybe look up the newer product line to find SFF case and get a stronger PSU.

but know at least for this moment in time you have enough wattage to cover your needs.

TikPandora

Honorable
Dec 18, 2016
Awesome! Thank you all for the help, I was quite worried...But now am more comfortable knowing the card in getting angry everything else will work in harmony. Just to be safe I am going to go with the aftermarket PSU I posted in the OP along with everything else (including the i5). Thank you both so much.

Dioni2004

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
Awesome! Thank you all for the help, I was quite worried...But now am more comfortable knowing the card in getting angry everything else will work in harmony. Just to be safe I am going to go with the aftermarket PSU I posted in the OP along with everything else (including the i5). Thank you both so much.
Did it work becquse i have the same project going maybe u can help me out u cant text me at 3473579470 thanks