Optiplex 390 SFF PSU upgrade 400w

cornlover1955

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
So i currently am buying another barebone computer. However, It doesn't come with a psu. And i plan on having an i7, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd, and 1050ti Lp. It is the ultra small form factor one.

Will this psu work?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V3J88620&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-9SIA85V3J88620&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrZLdBRCmARIsAFBZllFQXMqTDcpxodF9sxRpYMTAhiR96YeP5G5RoOvCUQDOTrOFdGEt570aAt9SEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Or possibly a better option.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That would. The 390 is a standard ATX board, so you can buy whatever 400W power supply you want. The only reason to use that one is if you are keeping the chassis.

SFF PCs aren't very flexible if you are planning on installing a GPU. Most 1050Ti won't fit in there.

So spending $30 on a cheap case and getting a standard power supply is your best bet. (Micro ATX or Mid tower will work)

You might read this before investing in an offbrand PSU.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=71
My thoughts on this are.
1-Dell uses proprietary front I/O cables, diagnostic LEDS and sometimes thermal sensors there. Don't assume you can just swap cases.
2- Dell PSUs are sized to power all the slots, bays, and CPUs the computer supports. In an SFF Optiplex this means 95W CPU, 75W PCIe slot, and not very much else. I would suggest the Dell PSU even if it's only 230W. You should be good up to a low profile GTX1050Ti.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Dell does tend to do that, but they can be hand re-wired if necessary. Also a lot of people selling adapters on ebay and the like.

There is usually enough rear I/O to run the system just fine for most peoples purposes.

The thermal sensor is just on the end of wire, it can be placed in the new case or left out entirely. (It will just yell at you at boot, same with the intrusion detection switch)

You see this more on their business computers though. The models they sell to consumers tend to have less proprietary stuff. (don't get me started on proprietary Dell power, 5-pin fan headers, and their recent evil power switch design)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I'm more a fan of the Optiplex 9000 series Micro Towers with 4th Gen i7-4790/i7-4770 myself. Can often be found for under $300. Get the last gasp of the DDR3 systems which are still potent CPUs. I think the utility of the LGA1366 computers is starting to wane, and the age is certainly up there.

I was speaking more recently. Dell tends to make two models, one with standard ATX power and the business models with TPM, etc always have proprietary. Pretty sure they do this to monopolize on parts and service.

The unlocked LGA1366 Xeons with 3 channel RAM and an overclock can still hang in there. But I just like older hardware so I haven't tried the newer Dells.
The workstations don't have the Optiplex 95W CPU limit, and support 2x full size GPUs. It's the same age as the 390 SFF and a lot more computer.
The business machines actually used proprietary stuff to preserve the original configurations for warrantee, customer service, and tech support reasons in the business environment. Probably a big PITA to stock all those different parts to support the millions of business computers out there.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would just worry about a 7-8 (up to around 9 years now?) year old motherboard that operated under unknown conditions. At my office I see people cram workstations under their desks collecting dust for years. I've even opened a few less than a year after installation, chock full of dust, I don't think they bothered to clean when the machine was swapped in. Luckily we have a global replacement program every 3-4 years and full service warranty.

The last Optiplex 9020 I bought (for an amazing $250, I think they thought it was an i5) looked like it had never been used, or they have a really good cleaning team (or it was in a clean room)

Hacked it into a huge NZXT case. Made my own power adapter. Coincidentally, to replace my old i7-950 for a friend, 2.67GHz to 4.2Ghz and three generations newer.

I'm tempted to use that system board as a template for putting an ATX board into a G5 Mac Pro I picked up for twenty bucks. But If I recall I would have to use a Micro ATX board. Might need to pick up another Dell for myself, going to have to hack the Mac power supply anyway, might as well make it interesting.

TRENDING THREADS