[SOLVED] Optiplex 7010 rear fan failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbom

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
Recently upgraded an optiplex 7010 sff system for someone, temperature and stress tested and everything was fine. However a few weeks later they're having problems with a "rear fan failure" error message happening on boot. It only happens some of the time, and causes the fan to not run when it occurs. Could this be a bios issue? They live quite far away so I'm trying to figure out what to reccomened they check just incase it's a simple issue, before I get them to bring it all the way back for me to fix. In particular I'm wondering where the connections for this fan are as i don't think they'd be comfortable taking too much apart to get to them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Robbom

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
That's great, didn't know if it would be expensive to replace and those instructions are brilliant, thanks so much

Dec 9, 2019
I've had this problem before and i think that it usually happens when the fan blades are obstructed and cannot turn on properly. Ask them to check inside the PC and if there is a cable blocking the way on the rear fan, otherwise i cannot help.
GL! :D

Reactions: Robbom

Robbom

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
Thanks but the pc was already running a 3770 and a 1650 super LP so pretty sure it's at its limits!
To update fan was sent and they had no problems installing it and have had no problems of the sort since.
It uses the Q77 Chipset, best you could probably upgrade too is the i7-3770.
Xeon processors wouldn't be compatible with that motherboard from what I can see
Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire

Reactions: SamirD
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS