Question Optiplex 7010 won't boot with new psu

Sep 6, 2019
First post here guys, I appreciate the resource being here

So here is my dilemma. I just got a Dell Optiplex 7010 in desktop form factor.
It works fine, i5 3740 CPU, I upgraded from 4 to 16 gigs of Corsair RAM for $30, still runs great like that.

I had an older PC with a GTX 670 OC and a enermax gold 500w psu but an OLD e5400 processor, I want to put the psu and graphics card in the Dell so i can game on it but for some reason when I put the psu in the Dell it wouldn't turn on, the power button blinks orange, looks to be blinking a few trouble codes (I'm guessing based on how OBD1 cars blink trouble codes anyway) but it won't boot up. If I go back to the Dell one it boots up fine.
I can't run the graphics card with the Dell psu as it doesn't have the pci-e power outputs and the card requires 2 6 pins.

Anyone know what is going on and why it won't boot with the different power supply? I checked and rechecked the connections, tried putting it back in the old PC and the power supply is still good. I'm stumped. I'm by no means a PC expert i have done minor tinkering, changed out a couple components, changed thermal compound and such but I'm no Linus (but at least i don't drop my components)

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019
I like your reference to OBD1. Fellow Car tech? :)

As for the PSU, You have both the 24pin and the smaller 4 pin molex plugged in?
By upbringing and necessity not by trade, my brother is an ASE tech and I refuse to pay someone to do work im capable of.

Yeah it has a 20+4 setup in the 24 pin port and I hooked up the 4 pin black and yellow wired molex to the motherboard (psu has 2 so i tried both) and no dice. All the connectors are physically where they belong but it just doesn't wanna work. I have heard that some dells have a built in self test for the psu so I wonder if it's not jiving with what the system is looking for or something.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
By upbringing and necessity not by trade, my brother is an ASE tech and I refuse to pay someone to do work im capable of.

Yeah it has a 20+4 setup in the 24 pin port and I hooked up the 4 pin black and yellow wired molex to the motherboard (psu has 2 so i tried both) and no dice. All the connectors are physically where they belong but it just doesn't wanna work. I have heard that some dells have a built in self test for the psu so I wonder if it's not jiving with what the system is looking for or something.

I was going to mention about the Dell's self check. While not so much the self check part itself, I was reading that Dell mobo's are picky and require Dell PSU's as they have a different amount of power going to the mobo, but then I'm also reading how any newer PSU should work. (Even if the wrong size to fit native) and of course Dell's website stated you had to use a proprietary unit.. I'd be interested to see if anyone else had the same 7010 unit as you and know what they did. You try the PSU in another system? Would be a real hoot if it was bad all along! lol..

Old Cadillac & Oldsmobile tech here, with a dabble of Mitsubishi..

Sep 6, 2019
I was going to mention about the Dell's self check. While not so much the self check part itself, I was reading that Dell mobo's are picky and require Dell PSU's as they have a different amount of power going to the mobo, but then I'm also reading how any newer PSU should work. (Even if the wrong size to fit native) and of course Dell's website stated you had to use a proprietary unit.. I'd be interested to see if anyone else had the same 7010 unit as you and know what they did. You try the PSU in another system? Would be a real hoot if it was bad all along! lol..

Old Cadillac & Oldsmobile tech here, with a dabble of Mitsubishi..
Yeah I had just pulled it from my old system. Popped it back into the old one and it's working fine just not agreeing with the dell
Could ne a weird pinout difference between the Dell and a standard ATX motherboard? I have no idea.

My brother is a former dodge tech now working at a Ford dealership. The only times any vehicles I've owned have ever been at a shop were for tires and alignments, the things you just can't do in a garage properly.

Reactions: Mrgr74