Optiplex 780 not detecting keyboard, mouse, or network

discounteditemz

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Hi all,

I have had this Optiplex 780 for about a year and it has been working fine. I went out of town for a week and came back and it boots up perfectly fine but I can't get a keyboard, mouse or network to work. I have tried multiple usb wired and wireless keyboard and mouse as well as every other usb port front and back of the computer but still can't get it to detect. Also, when the computer is turned on, I have a x on the network icon at the bottom. The computer when turned on goes to the desktop but I can't do anything else because the keyboard and mouse do not work. There is no message that says no keyboard/mouse detected or any other message. Everything seems fine except it does not work.

I can't check if its a driver issue because I can't get into device manager. I tried installing Win 7 Pro again but can't boot from cd because keyboard does not work. Any suggestions?

OK, someone is coming.

Turn off your PC, unplug, open side panel and place both hands on metal part of your case to ground yourself, next press and hold power button for 30 seconds, next look for a shiny round object next to your PCIE x16 (slot for video card), this is CMOS (BIOS) battery (picture below), take a good look at it, position I mean, remove it with non metal something, toothpick will do, actually it has a clamp, but might not working, after battery removed press and hold power button again for 30 seconds, hold for 30 minutes at least, at this time write your battery model (would be CR something, 4 numbers), you might need a new one, sold at RadioShack for sure, after 30 minutes place battery back into the right polarity, close the case, attach power and start, if you have control of at least keyboard , at start up, go to your BIOS (by pressing F2 or DELete) and look for your USB controller page using arrow keys and enter button. Enable all controllers if disabled, save, but not exit yet, go to the last tab, I think, maybe called Advanced, and do BIOS reset, then save and look for TAB with boot sequence, make sure that your first boot device is DVD drive, so if that crap happens again and battery would not help, you can reinstall boot directly into DVD. After all done, save and exit, boot and please report back even if successful.
There is one more step can be done, similar to above, but I really don't like it, so will leave it for last attempt.
Ask your relatives or neighbors if you missed power surge or power down while you were absent - that could do this crap.

Picture of your motherboard with shiny battery.

DSC05654w.jpg

Your turn.

Edit. Forgot, when PC turned off, disconnect all USB devices from PC, even before pressing power button for the first time, leave only monitor and Audio (if not USB).