[SOLVED] Optiplex 980 Won’t turn on anymore

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
I wrote out a whole post just for it to be removed by my phone :(

so I’m gonna do a TL:DR this time
  • Computer was working beautifully fine
  • only thing I can think of that changed from yesterday (when it was working) is that heavy rain hit, tho we didn’t see any lightning, but it was connected to a non surge protected motherboard

Imgur Gallery showing that the motherboard has the power connected light + the computer will turn on for maybe 1-2 seconds then turn off and then SHOWS LIGHTS 1 and 2 ILLUMINATED.

videos and photos:
View: https://imgur.com/a/wNJJEg4

Anyone know what this may be?

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
Possible System Board Failure;

Disconnect all internal and external peripherals, and restart the computer.
If the computer boots, add the peripheral cards back one by one until you find the bad one.
If the problem persists, the system board is probably bad

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/678408/Dell-Optiplex-980.html?page=24#manual

we re-sat the Ram and the motherboard battery as well as replaced the PSU with another model we had that goes into 980’s and then it was pulsing the power button and number 1 and number 3, the light wasn’t on on the PSU so when we pushed the button and turned it on it just did the same, lit up number 1 and 2 and turned off after 1-2 seconds

we had unplugged anything external, and removed the GPU, I’m not sure what else to try to remove internally, maybe the SSD’s? Idk, it seems like a <Mod Edit> motherboard which is so annoying

Edit: considering this was working yesterday… <Mod Edit> non surge protected power boards man.. it was legit just to test their new monitor too, then it would’ve gone in a proper protected wall socket

Last edited by a moderator:

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
we re-sat the Ram and the motherboard battery as well as replaced the PSU with another model we had that goes into 980’s and then it was pulsing the power button and number 1 and number 3, the light wasn’t on on the PSU so when we pushed the button and turned it on it just did the same, lit up number 1 and 2 and turned off after 1-2 seconds

we had unplugged anything external, and removed the GPU, I’m not sure what else to try to remove internally, maybe the SSD’s? Idk, it seems like a <Mod Edit> motherboard which is so annoying

Edit: considering this was working yesterday… <Mod Edit> non surge protected power boards man.. it was legit just to test their new monitor too, then it would’ve gone in a proper protected wall socket

The Motherboard is dead when displays number 12 and then shuts off. Sorry

Reactions: JayTee3

TRENDING THREADS