OptiPlex 990 i7 2nd generation upgrade!!

Beginny

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
Hey everyone, this my very first topic here :) and I have a question hope I find answer here. The question is I have Optiplex 990 dell desktop and it has a good core i7 cpu but the problem it's 2nd generation cpu and I want to upgrade it to newer version like 4th or 5th or any newer generation cpu and I want to know, is it available and how to home upgrade it and where the best place to buy and I will try to get the motherboard type .... etc etc etc ?!

Solution
According with this, yes, definitely you will require a new motherboard. If you want to go for 4th generation, pick one you like HERE.

What are the purporse for the PC? Gaming?

PD: Your CPU is still good, but, the upgrade is your choice.

Beginny

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

I will try to get it, thanks and I hope someone tell me when he is sure :)

Beginny

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

The mainboard model is 06D7TR
and the cpu ntel core i7 2600 socket 1155 LGA

COLGeek

Cybernaut
No 4th (or higher) gen CPU will work in a Socket 1155 motherboard. Just something to keep in mind. Also, Dell's tend to use proprietary connectors (front panel and sometimes USB) so transplanting generic hardware into their cases can be an issue (and vice versa).

Your i7-2600 is still a capable CPU. I would recommend you keep what you have and save up for a new build in the future.

Beginny

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

Thanks dude and that was sad :(, I think am gonna wait much now to build new pc, but thanks.