Question Oracle Cloud unresponsive instance

May 13, 2023
Hi!
I have updated linux with sudo apt update and then upgrade, then i restarted it. Now it doesn't boot. I can't ssh into it, and the website says it's unresponsive. Is there any way i can get the stuff that's on the ssd? If i have to reinstall it's not a problem, i just want the data on it.

Thanks for reading my thread!

Ralston18

Titan
I do not understand the problem:

Are you trying to recover data in the Oracle Cloud via a webiste that is unresponsive or a website that says the Regional site is unresponsive. May be that you will have to wait until something gets fixed somewhere. Out of your control.....

Or simply that the update corrupted or otherwise did something to your linux installation and/or its' host SSD?

Do you have a backup to recover from?

Ralston18

Titan
The starting point would probably be to reinstall linux on a new host SSD.

And then use that new SSD to perhaps recover data from the SSD with the corrupted linux install.

However, all that is (full disclosure) well out of my comfort zone so I will defer to the linux folks accordingly.

May 13, 2023
The problem is that Oracle offers 200 gb for free, and i have almost all of it used. It doesn't let me add a new ssd, or shrink down the old one to create a new instance.

The problem is that Oracle offers 200 gb for free, and i have almost all of it used. It doesn't let me add a new ssd, or shrink down the old one to create a new instance.
OCI free tier allows for two block storage disks with up to 200GB each, are you using both? I'll assume you don't have a snapshot of that block volume.

Have you tried connecting from the cloud shell?

Edit: I realized now the machine is not up. In that case, you'd have to spin up another one and attach the disk to get what's inside it.