Oracle VM VirtualBox, VMware Workstation Windows 9x 3D-Acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

The architecture of Windows 4.x (95, 98, ME) is entirely different from that of Windows NT (NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10). The former is an utter abomination that makes management of devices extremely difficult without a hypervisor being in the way.

Windows 4.x has been obsolete for more than 15 years, there's no more business interest in using it and very few individuals remain that have any knowledge of its workings. 3D rendering is difficult enough on modern operating systems that are entirely virtualisation aware, it would be a colossal waste of time and money to try and add virtual 3D rendering support to Windows 4.x

Your best bet is to try and get the games that...

Sandi1987

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
I need 3D-Acceleration in Windows 95/98 for Windows 9x games. I think VMware and VirtualBox supports 3D-Acceleration only in Windows XP and later OS. Is it DOSBox + Windows 98 the only option for Windows 9x games which doesn't work in Windows 10 with patches, nGlide or dgVoodoo? PCem emulator is so slow.

The architecture of Windows 4.x (95, 98, ME) is entirely different from that of Windows NT (NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10). The former is an utter abomination that makes management of devices extremely difficult without a hypervisor being in the way.

Windows 4.x has been obsolete for more than 15 years, there's no more business interest in using it and very few individuals remain that have any knowledge of its workings. 3D rendering is difficult enough on modern operating systems that are entirely virtualisation aware, it would be a colossal waste of time and money to try and add virtual 3D rendering support to Windows 4.x

Your best bet is to try and get the games that you wish to play running on a modern operating system. Many Windows9x games run just fine on Windows 10 natively, and many more run with minor tweaks. DOSBox is also a good solution. DOSBox can also be used to run Windows 3.1 and any games that operate under that OS.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.