Question Orange-ish Flickering on my screen [RTX 3090 // ASUS ROG pg348q monitor]

ckincbloodmoney

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
Hello all, I seem to be having some Intermittent issues on my system. I'm coming here looking for extra thoughts on this matter

Basically, whenever I turn on my PC I'll be greeted with some flickering on my screen. I first noticed it within the past few months, they started out as small black and white lines (those little lines in Photo 3) These lines will also be present in games if I start a game when the flickering is occurring.

The issue used to go away after a restart or two, but I did notice my rtx 3090 did have a bit of card sag (Evga ftw3 hybrid for reference) - Which I purchased a gpu brace for, which helped a little bit but not as much as I had hoped for.

I'm wondering if this is my monitor that might be failing - it has an HDMI port and a Displayport, the hdmi being used for my laptop (no issues there). I've also taken screenshots via Print Screen and Nvidia shadowplay when the flickering occurs, and the screenshots appear clean with none of the crazy lines on them. I should note that sometimes the flickering appears and within 10+ minutes, it'd go away completely on its own. For instance, this was happening today, and several hours later as I post this (after 2 restarts over the course of 4 hours) - my screen is clean. As I said, intermittent.

What I've tried so far:
-Reseated the displayport cables
-Used a brand new displayport cable
-Reinstalled Nvidia drivers and updated them (but not using a utility to 100% remove them)
-Reseated the graphics card a few times, ensuring the pci-e pins had no scratches or damage to them <I Can't use another pci-e port since the card is big and would block usb headers below>
-
Removed a backplate on the motherboard itself, which helped to alleviate 5% of the card sag
-Installed a gpu brace. Did the largest one I could find and would work for my case (I can't use a standing one) --- even put a Thicc layer of electrical tape to add cushioning. Unfortunately the gpu brace can only be used at the halfway point since any further it'd be beneath the fan]

What I have not/haven't been able to try yet:
-Using the card's hdmi port & plugging the 3090 into an HDMI port on my monitor [Not viable long term since I need DP for 100hz, but I still need to test]
-Reinstall Windows [My search feature in Win10 broke, so I think this could be an option to try]
-Trying another monitor (In progress trying to do this)
-Trying a different computer on this monitor's displayport.

IMGUR LINK WITH PHOTOS OF SCREEN AND CASE: View: https://imgur.com/a/Bb9SHjY

CLIP OF THE FLICKERING:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX04UMh9WJM

Motherboard: ASUS ROG maximus XII extreme
Monitor: ASUS ROG pg348q
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 ftw3 hybrid version

Thanks all, let me know if you require any additional info. And yes, I know it's probable my card might be dying but if that's the fate I'll have to accept it.

What if you put the tower on it's side, so with the motherboard down so that you should take the gravity out of the situation and let the 3090 rest fully in the slot.

Aside from telling you to try a different motherboard, you might consider to RMA the card since it should be under warranty and those are pretty expensive cards now days. I suppose you could try new thermal pads and paste, but I'd do that in this case ONLY if you have no warranty left, just because to replace a card like that is around the 2000 dollar mark now.

ckincbloodmoney

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
That definitely is something that I did consider, although I have not tried it yet. I think I should definitely try another monitor to confirm if it actually is the GPU or not.

I've had the and GPU since December so I still need to dig around with the troubleshooting...

ckincbloodmoney

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
Yeah no definitely. Evga site shows my warranty is 3 years in duration, so I think I should be covered in the event I need to RMA this card. I remember hearing a few people mention their 3090s (a variety of brands) having issues, so I can't say I'm toooo surprised. But the main thing I'm worried about in this whole gpu nightmare is how soon it'd be until they could get me a replacement if the time comes (which I think it probably will be).

It's still crazy since I got this specific model since it is a 2slot card and is actually smaller than the other evga hybrid model, but they're so damn heavy haha.

What power supply do you have? It might be worth plugging into a hdtv or a different monitor just to see if any issues are present there. Maybe use ddu to remove drivers and reinstall. Perhaps even try an older version just to see if something in the latest versions has acted up with your gpu.

ckincbloodmoney

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
In terms of the drivers, there would have to be driver versions somewhere between March to now that would have potentially caused the flickering. I could look into the versions and see what's what though.

My PSU is an EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G+, 80plus gold 1000w power supply

I'm still working on getting a different monitor to test this on. Kinda involves taking someone else's monitor in the house for several days lol.

ckincbloodmoney

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
So, my flickering doesn't present itself like the video above, where I'd see image flickering like that. I DID just get a new symptom on Friday, where either on the desktop or in a game (happens more often in a game) where my entire screen will flicker completely black for a split second to a full second, and happen a few times in succession while playing a game.

I used Shadowplay to record a few DVR clips when that happened, but those flickers DO NOT show up in the video, which is really weird to me.

I also tried another monitor today, my bro's Asus ROG gaming monitor (forgot the model) - but while using that one, the screen flickers black just like before unless I'm on 60Hz refresh rate, so like in the video above, anything higher than 60Hz and my screen flickers black entirely quite quickly until I change it back to 60Hz.

I will try the method on the above video and see what happens.

Edit 1: I don't think my monitor actually has the options to select the Stream Type of Displayport. I can only see an option for selecting Input HDMI or Displayport so there goes that lol.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS