Orange light instead of Green light Internet Speed.

GamerOne

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
My internet speeds is so slow a few weeks back it was fast and it showed a green light and i had a gbps connection. Now since a couple of weeks it shows the orange light and my speed now is 10 mbit. Even after a clean windows install it still isn't fixed. So is this a hardware problem with my motherboard or is it something else?

emdea22

Distinguished
Somewhere along the line you're limited to 10 mbps. Any of the following components can cause this:
-integrated LAN from the mobo
-ethernet cable (including any LAN wall sockets you may have)
-router (or ISP external router if you don;t use a router yourself)

I assume you are talking the light on your PC or maybe the lan port of your router ?

First be very sure in the network settings for the nic in your machine it is set to AUTO. Any other setting will not work correctly because you must set both ends and you seldom have a router that lets you change this so the only way it will work is both ends set to AUTO.

If both are auto and it still does not negotiate to gig then you likely have a damaged cable. Try a different lan cable. You can also try a different port in the router..it is highly unlikely but it is possible to damage the thin wires in the port.

GamerOne

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014

Oh yeah i forgot to mention that when i plugged it the same Ethernet cable to my laptop it got the required speed it should have. So what could be the problem?

GamerOne

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014

Well i was talking about the light on the back of your PC that belong to the motherboard the one that shows your speed. And how do i set the NIC settings to auto?

GamerOne

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014

Do you mean the speed and Duplex option? if so that is already set to automatically.

GamerOne

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Oh and i just checked you have two lights on the back of your PC one that shows the activity and one that shows the speed. And for me now only one blinks orange and that is the speed light the other one is just off. Why is this? Is my motherboard network adapter broken or is it something else?

Yes those are the settings. If it is set to auto and you have a cable you know works in another machine then it does not leave much.

You have to start to suspect that the computer port has some form of fault. I would still buy a new cable and "hope" it works because most other option mean replacing the computer. You could I suppose try newer drivers for the motherboard but that too is one of those "hope" things since a driver seldom just breaks after it has been running for a long time.

GamerOne

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014

My computer is just new so why would i be replacing it? What if i bought a PCI ethernet card to plug it in my motherboard would that help?