Orangeck USB charger says it has overcurrent protection but is still overheating/melting

Feb 12, 2021
Hi

Since I fried one of my laptops USB-c ports I'm trying to be more careful when buying new chargers and new usb-c cables.
I only use the "usb-if certified" cables and I try to buy chargers from known brands.

Unfortunately the USB charger I like the most (because it has a built in display) is not really safe to use.
I don't understand why the charger has so many positive reviews on Amazon, I believe this charger is extremely dangerous!

I tested it with an "USB load tester" and was able to draw 5V/ 10 A (50W) from the usb-C port.
After 10sec or so the usb C port was getting really hot and the charger was smelling like it was burning/overheating inside.
The cable I used was an Anker Powerline II (usb-if certified) USB-C cable.
The charger is the "Orangeck 60W usb charger" (7x usb A and 1x usb C port) and claims to have overcurrent, shortcircuit, surge and overheating protection.

How come I can draw 10A from it's USB-c port, shouldn't the charger or the cable prevent my "usb load tester" from drawing more than 5A (which is the maximum for USB-c) ?

Yep a lot of the cheaper chargers have bad construction and some even use fake protections (the fuses don't work properly or are not even fuses). Not sure about tests with a load tester vs a normal device though, depends on how the charger is made.

Feb 12, 2021
Yep a lot of the cheaper chargers have bad construction and some even use fake protections (the fuses don't work properly or are not even fuses). Not sure about tests with a load tester vs a normal device though, depends on how the charger is made.
Yes there definitely is a big difference between the chargers I use.
Most of the time my "USB load tester" doesn't work or doesn't trigger any charging when it's connected to more expensive chargers, maybe it's some kind of safety or negotiation protocol that the cheaper chargers don't have.